Software Engineer, Backend
Virta is an online specialty medical clinic that reverses type 2 diabetes safely and sustainably without the risks, costs, or side effects of medications or surgery. Our innovations in nutritional biochemistry, data science and digital tools combined with our clinical expertise are shifting the diabetes treatment paradigm from management to reversal. Our mission: reverse type 2 diabetes in 100 million people by 2025.
As our first dedicated Backend Engineer you will be responsible for owning the backend architecture of our applications. Our team will look to you to establish best practices, evaluate and integrate backend technologies, and lay the groundwork to enable Virta to scale rapidly and securely.
- 5+ years of experience shipping backend code in high quality production environments, 2+ years with Python
- Experience designing and implementing complex APIs that have scaled to support large numbers of users
- Experience with building service-oriented architectures
- PostgreSQL or other SQL database expertise
- Highly knowledgeable and an attention to detail, carefully crafting both tests and code
- Loves learning new technologies
- Bonus points for:
- Familiarity with Docker
- DevOps experience
- Code and ship complex new back end features and API endpoints at high velocity and high quality with well-structured code.
- Troubleshoot debug, and fix issues in production and non-production environments
- Coach and mentor peer engineers to become great developers and recommend best practices and tools.
- Help out with DevOps and IT tasks as necessary in our small startup environment
Within your first 90 days at Virta, we expect you will do the following:
- Design, build and ship one or more new back-end services
- Teach and inspire other engineering team members through knowledge sharing, pair programming, and/or giving feedback during code reviews
- Propose and implement one or more process improvements to make our engineering team even better
Virta’s company values drive our culture, so you’ll do well if:
- You put people first and take care of yourself, your peers, and our patients equally
- You have a strong sense of ownership and take initiative while empowering others to do the same
- You prioritize positive impact over busy work
- You have no ego and understand that everyone has something to bring to the table regardless of experience
- You appreciate transparency and promote trust and empowerment through open access of information
- You are evidence-based and prioritize data and science over seniority or dogma
- You take risks and rapidly iterate
Meet Some of Virta's Employees
Bryce works as a full-stack engineer on the Internal Tools Team, building software to help Virta’s clinicians and health coaches effectively treat patients. Outside of his team, he's helped build Virta culture by developing processes around interviewing and by organizing internal hackathons.
Back to top