Health Coach (Bilingual - Spanish)
- Denver, CO
Virta is the first company with a clinically-proven treatment to safely and sustainably reverse type 2 diabetes and other chronic metabolic diseases without the use of medications or surgery. Our innovations in nutritional biochemistry, data science, and digital tools combined with our clinical expertise are shifting the diabetes treatment paradigm from management to reversal. Our mission - to reverse type 2 diabetes in 100 million people by 2025.
As a Health Coach at Virta, you’ll work directly with Virta patients to help reverse metabolic disease. We're looking for enthusiastic, highly motivated individuals to join our top-notch, mission-driven team. If that sounds like your dream job, we’d love to tell you more about it!
- Provide patient care with science-based therapeutic tools, using an evolving digital app as your primary source of communication (includes texting, phone calls, and video chats).
- Provide ongoing coaching and education with Virta patients that primarily focuses on a personalized nutrition & care plan (nutritional ketosis via personalized carbohydrate intake with lifestyle changes that focus on sustainability).
- Collaborate with the Virta medical staff in a detailed, timely, and effective manner to address patient status changes (communicate medication changes and other physician recommendations to patients).
- Monitor and provide feedback on daily patient metrics and vitals including: weight, blood ketones, blood glucose, blood pressure, side effects, energy, cravings, hunger, and mood.
- Empathize, connect, and partner with patients to ensure personal success and sustainability using various counseling techniques including, but not limited to motivational interviewing and patient-centered goal setting.
- Help personalize every patient's treatment via daily actions and behavior change counseling.
- Review and update medications, medical history, and laboratory values, as well as document patient interactions in Virta’s HIPAA-compliant portal.
- Uphold company values and maintain a strong team dynamic including sharing your specific expertise and skills with your teammates.
- Learn and incorporate new scientific findings into patient education.
- Collaborate cross-functionally with Enrollment Advisors, Support Operations, and Product Teams to provide feedback and communicate coaching best practices.
90 Day Plan
Within your first 90 days at Virta, we expect you will do the following:
- Successfully take on and manage both new, current, and tenured patients; roughly fifteen new patients per week.
- Partner with our existing health coaches to learn and understand the entire patient experience, from enrollment to daily patient care and long-term patient success.
- Shadow current health coaches and learn how to successfully perform patient onboarding calls and day to day patient care.
- Shadow and learn from current health coaches the various platforms and tools needed to perform your day to day job.
- Learn and understand what key performance indicators (KPIs) are used to track health coach performance and how your day to day work impacts those metrics.
- Actively contribute to team culture, learning, and overall process improvements by providing regular continuous feedback.
- Take time to connect with and proactively get to know fellow Virtans; various leaders/teammates/teams/roles. Learn, adopt, support, and help live out the Virtan Values.
- 4-year college degree required in one of the following disciplines: Nutrition, Dietetics, Kinesiology, Exercise Science, Nursing, Social Work, Psychology, or other health-related field. Also: Registered Dietitian, Registered Nurse, Registered Exercise Physiologist, Counselor or similar professional degree or certification.
- Ability to work full-time in one of the following locations: Atlanta, Chicago, Denver, Omaha, San Francisco or St. Louis
- Note: Due to the ongoing Covid-19 epidemic, current Virta employees are working full time remotely from home.
- Bilingual in Spanish and English. Must have professional-working fluency.
- Ability to work one full weekend per month and 1-2 holidays per year.
- Prior experience working with patients directly in the following areas: outpatient nutrition counseling, motivational interviewing, using and/or implementing various behavior change techniques, health coaching, health counseling, mental health counseling, etc (strongly preferred).
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills with the ability to utilize diverse modes of communication. Ability to adapt communication style to suit different audiences such as patients, teammates, customers, and scientific professionals.
- High EQ and empathy with the ability to work with different personalities through times of change.
- Attention to detail and strong organizational skills to help keep you on track during rapidly changing situations.
- Growth mindset and the desire to constantly learn and improve.
- Strong desire to build relationships with patients and willingness to help others as a frontline care provider.
- Unquestionable integrity, no ego.
- Comfortable using various digital platforms and a remote delivery model in a rapidly changing environment; technology literacy is a must!
- Highly motivated and able to work independently to self-manage priorities, and willing to ask for help and lean on teammates for support when needed.
- Comfortable with ambiguity and able to adjust to rapidly changing environments and expectations.
- Strong consideration for candidates with multi-lingual abilities.
- Have fun!
Virta’s company values drive our culture, so you’ll do well if:
- You put people first and take care of yourself, your peers, and our patients equally
- You have a strong sense of ownership and take initiative while empowering others to do the same
- You prioritize positive impact over busy work
- You have no ego and understand that everyone has something to bring to the table regardless of experience
- You appreciate transparency and promote trust and empowerment through open access of information
- You are evidence-based and prioritize data and science over seniority or dogma
- You take risks and rapidly iterate
As part of your duties at Virta, you may come in contact with sensitive patient information that is governed by HIPAA. Throughout your career at Virta, you will be expected to follow Virta's security and privacy procedures to ensure our patients' information remains strictly confidential. Security and privacy training will be provided.
Back to top