Data Scientist, Machine Learning
Virta is an online specialty medical clinic that reverses type 2 diabetes safely and sustainably without the risks, costs, or side effects of medications or surgery. Our innovations in nutritional biochemistry, data science and digital tools combined with our clinical expertise are shifting the diabetes treatment paradigm from management to reversal. Our mission: reverse type 2 diabetes in 100 million people by 2025.
You will be a key player in helping to drive our data science foundations and approach, helping to lay the groundwork for helping millions of diabetics to live healthier lives through sophisticated data analysis and applied solutions. From patient health projections to medication management, machine learning drives our workflow and is critical in scaling our operation to 100 million people. Virta data scientists have the opportunity to select and gain experience with cutting-edge algorithms and techniques in order to deliver the most accurate models for our personalization and automation efforts.
- 2+ years of experience creating data science & machine learning algorithms using Python
- Natural language processing experience
- Demonstrated ability to performing data analysis, develop models and algorithms, and build production code
- Attention to detail: carefully checks work for errors or oversights
- Loves learning new technologies and finding useful signals in structured and unstructured data
Bonus Points For:
- TensorFlow and deep learning experience
- Develop machine learning systems at high velocity & high quality with well-structured code.
- Perform directed and undirected data analysis investigations to find useful signals that help us in our mission
- Coach and mentor fellow engineers to become great developers and recommend best practices and tools.
Within your first 90 days at Virta, we expect you will do the following:
- Develop and productize at least one new significant data-based feature or service
- Teach and inspire other team members through knowledge sharing, pair programming, code reviews, brown-bag sessions, reading group etc.
- Propose and implement one or more process improvements to make our engineering team even better
Virta’s company values drive our culture, so you’ll do well if:
- You put people first and take care of yourself, your peers, and our patients equally
- You have a strong sense of ownership and take initiative while empowering others to do the same
- You prioritize positive impact over busy work
- You have no ego and understand that everyone has something to bring to the table regardless of experience
- You appreciate transparency and promote trust and empowerment through open access of information
- You are evidence-based and prioritize data and science over seniority or dogma
- You take risks and rapidly iterate
Meet Some of Virta's Employees
Bryce works as a full-stack engineer on the Internal Tools Team, building software to help Virta’s clinicians and health coaches effectively treat patients. Outside of his team, he's helped build Virta culture by developing processes around interviewing and by organizing internal hackathons.
Back to top