Data Scientist, Applied AI
Virta is the first company with a clinically-proven treatment to safely and sustainably reverse type 2 diabetes and other chronic metabolic diseases without the use of medications or surgery. Our innovations in nutritional biochemistry, data science and digital tools combined with our clinical expertise are shifting the diabetes treatment paradigm from management to reversal. Our mission - to reverse type 2 diabetes in 100 million people by 2025.
About the team
As a full stack health care company of physicians, engineers, marketers and more under one roof, Virta collects comprehensive data on our patients’ experience. The Applied AI team leverages this data to build the next generation of health care for chronic diseases. As a member of this team, you will build and interpret intelligent systems that power our product in order to drive patient acquisition, experience, and outcomes.
- Research, develop, deploy, and measure intelligent systems to drive patient acquisition, experience and outcomes
- Reframe vague but mission-critical business objectives into empirical problems that can be addressed with machine learning, optimization, and sound statistical thinking
- Conduct exploratory analyses of users and business processes to understand your datasets and make excellent modeling choices downstream
- Develop and deploy models in our production environment to optimize our products and clinical decision making
- Understand the impact of your models on user and business level KPIs; leverage this understanding to guide subsequent efforts
- Participate in setting the direction of highly cross functional teams (incl. Applied AI, application developers, design, clinical ops, and marketing)
- Collaborate with other data scientists and machine learning engineers by building extensible software and replicable analyses
90 Day Plan
Within your first 90 days at Virta, we expect you will do the following:
- Immerse yourself in the rich data we collect in service of our patients’ care. Our data includes high dimensional time series data, meal images, natural language discourse, and much more.
- Code and ship one new data pipeline or model
- Teach and inspire other Applied AI team members through knowledge sharing, pair programming, and/or giving feedback during code reviews
- You have 3+ years experience as a machine learning engineer or a data scientist deploying models in production
- You are passionate about directly optimizing core products or operations through models you’ve deployed to production systems
- You care deeply about exploring data and understanding the real life user behavior and processes that generate it.
- You are expert in Python’s open source machine learning ecosystem. Experience with tensorflow or pytorch is strongly desired.
- You are strong with SQL and able to extract data from modern datastores like Redshift or Bigquery. Experience with Apache Beam a plus.
- You excel at communicating progress, trade-offs, and the results of your work to team members from other functions
Virta’s company values drive our culture, so you’ll do well if:
- You put people first and take care of yourself, your peers, and our patients equally
- You have a strong sense of ownership and take initiative while empowering others to do the same
- You prioritize positive impact over busy work
- You have no ego and understand that everyone has something to bring to the table regardless of experience
- You appreciate transparency and promote trust and empowerment through open access of information
- You are evidence-based and prioritize data and science over seniority or dogma
- You take risks and rapidly iterate
As part of your duties at Virta, you may come in contact with sensitive patient information that is governed by HIPAA. Throughout your career at Virta, you will be expected to follow Virta's security and privacy procedures to ensure our patients' information remains strictly confidential. Security and privacy training will be provided.
Back to top