Africa Practice Lead
Village Capital is seeking a leader for the firm’s activities in discovering, developing, and investing in entrepreneurs across sub-Saharan Africa. Village Capital has worked with over 60 companies in Africa since 2010, investing in 13 portfolio companies across the region.
Design and Execute Village Capital’s Investment Strategy for Sub-Saharan Africa
This includes three main responsibilities:
· Discovering new investment opportunities across the continent;
· Developing the best ventures, with a specific focus on investment-readiness and human capital;
· Investing in a portfolio of companies using Village Capital’s unique peer review model.
You’ll have full ownership of all the details required to recruit a talented set of companies, design and executing high quality, curated investment-readiness programming to maximize value to the entrepreneurs, investors, and our partners. You will coach and manage a small team that will help you execute on these responsibilities.
Lead Business Development for Village Capital's activities in the region
You will be responsible for securing the necessary resources to execute on your strategy for the Africa practice by building relationships with private foundations, corporations, and investment funds. This includes the opportunity to design new partnerships and potentially new investment vehicles for our Africa ventures.
Build and manage a network of entrepreneurs, investors, and stakeholders in our target sectors: financial technology, agriculture, energy, health, and education
No entrepreneur succeeds alone; to grow, entrepreneurs need access to networks of investors, strategic partners and advisors. You’ll be responsible for building the best network possible to support entrepreneurs in Sub-Saharan Africa. The ideal candidate will already bring a substantial network of investors, entrepreneurs, and corporations.
Establish Village Capital as leading brand in supporting entrepreneurship in Africa
You will build a Village Capital’s brand as a leading innovator in the entrepreneurship worldwide. You will be responsible for crafting thought pieces, such as blog posts and white papers, speaking at conferences, and promoting your work on social media
Traits we’re looking for:
· You love entrepreneurs and are excited about building a practice that puts entrepreneurs at the center of solving critical challenges facing Sub-Saharan Africa in agriculture, financial health, education, health, and energy.
· You value the challenge of working in a global team dispersed across 5 continents. This means you are a very strong communicator, extremely responsive, enjoy working collaboratively and at the same time can solve problems autonomously. You are also flexible in your work hours to take calls/meetings during evenings to account for time zone differences.
· You’re a strong manager and excited about managing and coaching a small team of talented young professionals.
· You are extremely good at managing your time and balancing multiple priorities at the same time.
· Bachelor’s Degree
· 7-10 years of experience working in startups in Africa; specific experience most relevant to the job includes successfully raising investment capital and/or successfully scaling a start-up business and/or investing into early stage companies in Africa.
· Deep understanding of the entrepreneurship landscape in Sub-Saharan Africa, ideally with direct experience in agriculture and/or fintech, which are two of our focus sectors in Africa.
· Fluency in English required, proficiency in French not required, but preferred
Compensation will be commensurate with experience
Due to a large volume of applications, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted by the Village Capital team
Meet Some of Village Capital's Employees
Ben’s goal is to tell Village Capital’s story and make sure that all the great work that its entrepreneurs are doing is known to the world at large.
Back to top