Staff Writer, FREE
VICE is looking for a Staff Writer to join its new personal finance channel, FREE. We’re seeking a journalist who is excited about explaining financial concepts, the emotional aspects of dealing with money, and how current events affect your wallet, all in a fun, smart and accessible tone for the VICE audience.
FREE staff writers are responsible for creating original online editorial pieces for FREE. This is a regular, full-time staff position in VICE’s Williamsburg office.
- Pitching timely, money-oriented stories on a daily basis to the FREE Editor
- Writing one to two articles a day—a mix of news analysis, explainers and how-tos, along with the occasional long read
- Supporting the FREE editors with securing photos, preparing stories for publishing, and serving as a liaison with freelancers as needed
- Reaching out to contacts to secure high-profile interviews of celebrities, scholars, experts and other sources
- Building traffic for FREE and growing our audience
- Demonstrated interest in personal finance topics, ranging from income inequality to investing, budgeting, and saving
- Ability to write smart, original, funny copy about a traditionally dry subject matter
- Willingness to juggle short/quick writing projects with longer, deeply-reported features
- Superb communication skills and ability to gracefully respond to edits and feedback on stories from editors
- At least 1–2 years of journalism experience at a national digital publication or comparable freelance experience
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree preferred
If you require a reasonable accommodation during the application and selection process, please let us know. We will work together to best meet your needs.
Equal Employment Opportunities: VICE is proud to be an equal opportunity employer that strives to create and maintain a workplace that celebrates inclusion and diversity. At VICE, we understand that inclusion and diversity is a major benefit to our employees, our readers and viewers, and our company culture. We treat all applicants and employees fairly without regard to age, alienage or citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity and expression, marital status and partnership status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion/creed, sexual orientation, arrest or conviction record, caregiver status, credit history, unemployment status, salary history, status as a victim of domestic violence, stalking and sex offenses, status as a veteran or active military service member, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
VICE requires that all employees have proper authorization to work in the U.S. Should an applicant require employment sponsorship, VICE will determine, in its sole discretion, whether such sponsorship will be provided.
Qualified applicants with criminal histories will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with the New York City Fair Chance Act or other applicable laws.
*Qualified candidates must be able to perform the essential functions of this position satisfactorily, with or without a reasonable accommodation. The requirements and essential functions described above are not an exhaustive list and instead are meant to describe the general nature and level of work required of the job. VICE reserves the right to modify the essential functions of this position where a legitimate business exists.
To all recruitment agencies: Unless otherwise indicated, VICE does not accept agency resumes and is not responsible for any fees or expenses related to such unsolicited resumes.
Meet Some of VICE Media's Employees
Director of Digital Marketing, VICELAND
Tyler and his team ensure that VICE fans can easily find, watch, and share cool content across all social media platforms.
Back to top