- New York, NY
ABOUT VICE MEDIA GROUP
VICE Media Group is the world’s largest independent youth media company. Launched in 1994, VICE has offices in 35 cities across the globe with a focus on five key businesses: VICE.com, an award-winning international network of digital content; VICE STUDIOS, a feature film and television production studio; VICE, an Emmy-winning international television network; a Peabody award-winning NEWS division with the most Emmy-awarded nightly news broadcast; and VIRTUE, a global, full-service creative agency with 21 offices around the world. VICE's content has been recognized by the Academy of Television Arts & Sciences, Peabodys, Golden Globes, Sundance Film Festival, George Polk, Scripps Howard, PEN Center, Cannes Lions, Knight Foundation, American Society of Magazine Editors, LA Press Club, James Beard and Webbys, among others.
VICE Media Group’s portfolio includes Refinery29, the leading global media and entertainment company focused on women; PULSE Films, a London-based next-generation production studio with outposts in Los Angeles, New York, Paris and Berlin; i-D, a global digital and bimonthly magazine defining fashion and contemporary culture; and Garage, a digital platform and biannual publication converging the worlds of art and design.
VICE x Team
VICE strives to capture people at the heart of stories, and focus on the ideas, issues, and context that other outlets miss. VICE stories enlighten through powerful investigative journalism, such as our VICE News coverage of the 2020 election.
At VICE, product designers help the world’s most creative writers, journalists and videographers tell stories that inspire. They work across web and native platforms to connect content teams to audiences around the world. They are driven by collaboration, data, research, and honest design principles.
We’re looking for a product designer excited to design for VICE’s web products, contribute to our growing set of tools and components, and create new and authentic ways to present the stories enlightening and entertaining our audience.
Role x You
- Help contribute and expand VICE’s front-end design system and develop brand specific UI.
- Take designs from start to finish—from early exploration, wireframes and rapid prototypes to high-fidelity mocks and working with engineers to help vqa once in production.
- Design informed products by meeting with editors, producers, and members of the commercial team
- Collaborate with both product and brand designers to share your process, offer honest feedback, and help mentor team members.
- Paring with engineering teams to offer design solutions and feedback.
- 4+ years of experience in product design and/or user experience focused products
- Familiarity with desktop and mobile design principles, standards and accordances.
- Experience designing audience-facing digital products. Bonus if news, media or publication.
- A well-rounded toolkit—from design and prototyping tools (we use Figma).
- Some knowledge of front-end web design: HTML, CSS (git and/or JS optional but big ++)
- Comfortable working through friction points in designs and offering constructive feedback to both engineers and product managers.
You have these:
- A strong portfolio of work showing your ability to navigate complex flows with consistent user focused patterns.
- Curiosity and empathy for both the audience you design for and your teammates.
- Ability to embrace and encourage diverse perspectives as well as your own design vision.
- A drive to ship projects and features!
We’d love if you also had:
- A passion for technology, design and a respect for meaningful journalism through creative storytelling.
- A passion for VICE Media Group content (VICE, Munchies, Motherboard, Refinery29 etc.)
We want to find people who believe in our goals and feel inspired enough to grow while they’re here to fill the role, rather than someone who checks the boxes but isn’t invested. We encourage you to apply and show us what you’ve got.
If you require reasonable accommodation during the application and selection process, please let us know. We will work together to best meet your needs.
Working at VICE
VICE prioritizes the ideas and people that other media companies miss. We believe that innovation is a direct result of diverse, inclusive cultures so we don’t just “tolerate” differences, we celebrate it and see it as essential to our staff, culture, and business. To learn more read the VICE Guide to VICE
Agencies: VICE Media Group is not partnering with agencies nor accepts unsolicited resumes and will not be responsible for any fees or expenses related to such unsolicited resumes and/or applicants.
Back to top