- Tulsa, OK
News Writer, Digital News
VICE News is looking for an ambitious, motivated staff writer in Hong Kong to join our growing international news team in APAC. The right candidate has an excellent news sense, the ability to find new or underreported angles and stories, and a strong appetite for bold reporting that breaks news and starts conversations around the world. The staff writer role is fast-paced and demanding; you should expect to pitch original stories on a daily basis, juggle multiple assignments and leads on an ongoing basis, and file multiple enterprise pieces per week. This is a position for someone eager to learn a lot -- from filing public records requests to tackling a major investigation -- and who wants to hone and refine their mastery of one or more core VICE News beats (including labor, inequality, climate, extremism, politics, and identity).
Clean, quick copy and a readiness to pick up the phone (or hit the pavement) are all must-haves in this role. Experience with digital video or audio is a plus, but not required. This role will report into editorial leadership located in APAC.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Ideate and pitch reported stories on a daily basis; you should be an ideas machine and we’ll partner you with the right editor to bring those ideas to life
- Report and file several clean, thoroughly sourced stories per week that will appeal to a global audience
- Consistently publish creative enterprise work and scoops; your goal is to move the needle and start conversations on your beat
- Collaborate across the newsroom and bring your expertise and ideas to teams and initiatives beyond editorial
- Contribute to multimedia reportage in other formats which include video, audio, photography, and more
- Minimum of 3 years of journalism experience as a writer for an online publication focused on Hong Kong/China
- A proven track record of news judgment and reporting skills.
- Creative, enterprising story ideas that break the mold on a given beat, and a proven ability to execute on them.
- A collaborative spirit, and the ability to work across teams and with other reporters.
- Openness to innovate, explore and contribute to multimedia formats in various platforms.
- Bilingual in English and Chinese
Back to top