- Tulsa, OK
The Managing Editor for news will be responsible for managing the digital editorial newsroom across the APAC region. Working in collaboration with editorial leadership across regions and reporting into the Editor-in-Chief of APAC, this is a key leadership role in VICE’s ambitious expansion of our digital news offerings worldwide. This position requires a senior leader with unimpeachable judgment, significant editing experience in a digital setting, robust management skills, and a deep understanding of the VICE News brand and how it should be reflected in our team’s work. This role oversees a team of editors and reporters, whose coverage spans breaking news stories and enterprise reporting to blockbuster investigations.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Work closely with editorial leadership across APAC and VICE News to develop overarching digital content strategy, and with the Executive Managing Editor on content workflow and process.
- Manage a team of editors and reporters, and use a combination of data and sensibility to help guide each of them as they develop and execute on overall content strategy and coverage plans.
- Edit and/or top edit a range of stories across beats; act as a backstop on quality for everything from a 3,000-word feature to a quick follow-up story.
- Work side-by-side with digital video producers to ensure collaboration/cross-functional initiatives where appropriate.
- Collaborate on the execution of news content strategies across emerging platforms, including but not limited to Snap, Tik Tok, and Instagram.
- Work alongside regional and global leadership on talent recruitment, hiring, and staffing across the APAC newsroom.
- Represent, as necessary, VICE both externally and internally as a leader in the organization.
- Partner with the legal, communications, and corporate strategy teams, as appropriate.
- Minimum of 10 years of journalism experience as a writer or story editor
- Minimum of 7 years of management experience supervising writers, editors, social editors
- A proven track record of news judgment and editing skills, and execution at the highest levels
- Wide network of sources across Asia, with institutional knowledge on the region’s major issues
- Robust management skills, an eye for editorial talent, and a track record of developing emerging talent
- The highest journalistic and legal standards and a track record of implementation and enforcement
- A collaborative spirit, and the ability to work and lead across departments and global offices
- Bilingual in English and Chinese strongly preferred
Back to top