Director, Product Design
- New York, NY
ABOUT VICE MEDIA GROUP
VICE Media Group is the world’s largest independent youth media company. Launched in 1994, VICE has offices in 35 cities across the globe with a focus on five key businesses: VICE.com, an award-winning international network of digital content; VICE STUDIOS, a feature film and television production studio; VICE, an Emmy-winning international television network; a Peabody award-winning NEWS division with the most Emmy-awarded nightly news broadcast; and VIRTUE, a global, full-service creative agency with 21 offices around the world. VICE's content has been recognized by the Academy of Television Arts & Sciences, Peabodys, Golden Globes, Sundance Film Festival, George Polk, Scripps Howard, PEN Center, Cannes Lions, Knight Foundation, American Society of Magazine Editors, LA Press Club, James Beard and Webbys, among others.
VICE Media Group’s portfolio includes Refinery29, the leading global media and entertainment company focused on women; PULSE Films, a London-based next-generation production studio with outposts in Los Angeles, New York, Paris and Berlin; i-D, a global digital and bimonthly magazine defining fashion and contemporary culture; and Garage, a digital platform and biannual publication converging the worlds of art and design.
VICE x Team
The product design team is responsible for all of VICE Media Group’s digital products – from our in-house editorial tools and reading experiences on VICE.com, i-D.co and Refinery29.com to our streaming platform serving both digital video and VICE TV.
Role x You
At VICE, product designers help journalists inform, inspire, and share their stories with audiences around the world. They work across web and native platforms and are driven by collaboration, data, research, and honest design principles.
We are looking for an experienced product design leader to own the design process from start to finish while managing and mentoring a small but mighty design team. You’ll run design critiques, workshop design solutions with colleagues throughout the company, and work with other product and engineering leaders to evolve our process.
About the role:
- Lead, manage, and mentor a team of product designers by assigning projects, setting goals, and providing honest, productive feedback
- Take designs from start to finish—from early exploration and research, to wireframes and high-fidelity mocks
- Share designs throughout the company, from editors to executives, and ensure your team’s decisions are communicated in a clear and understandable way
- Define design thinking at the company and drive tangible improvements in each of our digital products
- Work with researchers to test prototypes with readers and share findings throughout the company
- Design informed products by meeting with editors, producers, and members of the commercial team
- Collaborate with the engineering team to ensure designs are realistic, properly implemented, and driven by systems thinking
You have these
- 10+ years of professional design experience
- Proven experience mentoring, managing, and supporting a team of designers
- A strong portfolio of work showing your ability to lead the design of products with complex flows and requirements
- A well-rounded toolkit—from design and prototyping tools (we use Figma) to experience writing your own front-end code
- Broad communication skills and experience clearly presenting work with external stakeholders
- Passion not only for technology and design, but also for meaningful journalism and creative storytelling
We’d love if you also had
- Experience working in digital news media
- Knowledge of design systems and how to maintain them at scale
- An understanding of the platforms we support and their design conventions—iOS, Android, Roku, and the web
- Familiarity with both native and web accessibility
We want to find people who believe in our goals and feel inspired enough to grow while they’re here to fill the role, rather than someone who checks the boxes but isn’t invested. We encourage you to apply and show us what you’ve got.
If you require reasonable accommodation during the application and selection process, please let us know. We will work together to best meet your needs.
Working at VICE
VICE prioritizes the ideas and people that other media companies miss. We believe that innovation is a direct result of diverse, inclusive cultures so we don’t just “tolerate” differences, we celebrate it and see it as essential to our staff, culture, and business. To learn more read the VICE Guide to VICE
Agencies: VICE Media Group is not partnering with agencies nor accepts unsolicited resumes and will not be responsible for any fees or expenses related to such unsolicited resumes and/or applicants.
Back to top