Counsel, Business & Legal Affairs
Counsel, Business & Legal Affairs
An international media company that captures people at the heart of stories, and focuses on the ideas, issues, and context that other outlets miss. Launched in 1994, VICE operates in 35 cities across the globe, making 1500 pieces of content every day with a focus on five lines of business: VICE Digital, an award-winning international network of digital content; VICE STUDIOS, a feature film and television production studio; VICELAND, an Emmy-winning international television network; a Peabody award-winning NEWS division; and VIRTUE, a global, full-service creative agency with 21 offices around the world.
VICE x Team
The Business & Legal Affairs team provides business-oriented legal guidance and strategies across the organization.
Role x You
You are a highly motivated self-starter who will provide business and legal affairs services with a focus on original programming and production throughout the organization. You will have the ability to work in a fast-paced, high volume environment and can prioritize requests from multiple departments. You are a skilled production attorney, and can expertly and quickly advise production from pre-production through delivery. You are a team player and enjoy the challenge of finding solutions to complex legal issues surrounding our programming.
- Structure, draft and negotiate a high volume of production-related agreements for unscripted programs, including third-party commissioning agreements, talent agreements, and production services agreements.
- Evaluate content to assess legal risks from development through pre-broadcast review of episodes.
- Advise on rights issues (third party, fair use, promotional, etc.)
- Negotiate and finalize marketing related agreements, including SOWs, photographer, vendor and location agreements.
- Working with a broad range of departments (Rights & Clearances, Production Management, Employment, Human Resources, Security & Risk and Insurance) on production matters and to seek ways to improve production legal policies and procedures.
- Maintain relationships with key managers, agencies and attorneys in the entertainment community.
- Other matters as assigned by the Vice President, Business & Legal Affairs
You have these:
- 3-5 years experience as a practicing entertainment attorney at a law firm, or in-house at a network, production company or agency.
- Possess excellent negotiating, drafting, analytical, interpersonal, communication, organizational, problem solving and time management skills.
- Capable of building strong internal client relationships at all levels of the business, and effectively advise clients under conditions of uncertainty, high-pressure and/or high-risk and generate strong client satisfaction through a quick turnaround and firm decision-making.
- Ability to work effectively and collaboratively cross-functionally, think practically and be solution-oriented.
- Capable of collaborating with a team facing a high volume of work and competing priorities.
- J.D. and admitted to the NY state bar.
We’d love if you also had these:
- Production legal experience highly preferred.
We want to find people who believe in our goals and feel inspired enough to grow while they’re here to fill the role, rather than someone who checks the boxes but isn’t invested. We encourage you to apply and show us what you’ve got. To learn more read the VICE Guide to VICE
Qualified candidates must be able to perform the essential functions of this position satisfactorily, with or without reasonable accommodation. The requirements and essential functions described above are not an exhaustive list and instead are meant to describe the general nature and level of work required of the job. VICE reserves the right to modify the essential functions of this position where a legitimate business exists.
If you require reasonable accommodation during the application and selection process, please let us know. We will work together to best meet your needs.
Working at VICE
VICE prioritizes the ideas and people that other media companies miss. We believe that innovation is a direct result of diverse, inclusive cultures so we don’t just “tolerate” differences, we celebrate it and see it as essential to our staff, culture, and business.
VICE offers comprehensive benefits including but not limited to trans-inclusive benefits, fertility benefits, and tuition reimbursement. We also have dog-friendly days, bagel Fridays, and the occasional drag show in our conveniently located Williamsburg office. Day-to-day you can enjoy a rooftop garden full of edible produce (in the summer), beverages, healthy snacks and the opportunity to make the work of a lifetime if you’re into that sort of thing, which we hope you are.
Equal Employment Opportunities: VICE is proud to be an equal opportunity employer that strives to create and maintain a workplace that celebrates inclusion and diversity. At VICE, we understand that inclusion and diversity are major benefits to our employees, our readers and viewers, and our company culture. We treat all applicants and employees fairly without regard to age, alienage or citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity and expression, marital status and partnership status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion/creed, sexual orientation, arrest or conviction record, caregiver status, credit history, unemployment status, salary history, status as a victim of domestic violence, stalking and sex offenses, status as a veteran or active military service member, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
VICE requires that all employees have proper authorization to work in the U.S. Should an applicant require employment sponsorship, VICE will determine, in its sole discretion, whetted her such sponsorship will be provided.
Qualified applicants with criminal histories will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with the New York City Fair Chance Act or other applicable laws.
VICE Media Group is not partnering with agencies nor accepts unsolicited resumes and will not responsible for any fees or expenses related to such unsolicited resumes and/or applicants.
VICE offers comprehensive benefits including but not limited to trans-inclusive benefits, fertility benefits, and tuition reimbursement. We also have dog-friendly days, bagel Fridays, and the occasional drag show in our conveniently located Williamsburg office. Day-to-day you can enjoy a rooftop garden full of edible produce (in the summer), beer, snacks and the opportunity to make the work of a lifetime if you’re into that sort of thing, which we hope you are.
Back to top