Paramount+, a direct-to-consumer digital subscription video on-demand and live streaming service from Paramount Global, combines live sports, breaking news, and a mountain of entertainment. The premium streaming service features an expansive library of original series, hit shows and popular movies across every genre from world-renowned brands and production studios, including BET, CBS, Comedy Central, MTV, Nickelodeon, Paramount Pictures and the Smithsonian Channel. The service is also the streaming home to unmatched sports programming, including every CBS Sports event, from golf to football to basketball and more, plus exclusive streaming rights for major sports properties, including some of the world's biggest and most popular soccer leagues. Paramount+ also enables subscribers to stream local CBS stations live across the U.S. in addition to the ability to stream Paramount Streaming's other live channels: CBSN for 24/7 news, CBS Sports HQ for sports news and analysis, and ET Live for entertainment coverage.
The Video Technology Group develops industry-leading online and mobile video delivery systems and IP for CBS.com, CBSSports.com, CBS News and the entire suite of ViacomCBS/Paramount sites. Our team is responsible for the delivery of premium content to millions of people every day. We set company-wide video standards and help internal business units integrate the video delivery stack into their specific online products. Additionally, the team serves as the company's information resource on current and future trends in digital video. This is a great opportunity for someone who is interested in doing high-visibility, mission-critical work.
The MediaCore team works within the central Video Technology Group responsible for leading all aspects of video processing and publishing workflows. MediaCore builds video transcoding and processing orchestrators and encoders, along with packagers, stream optimizers and VOD-to-Live playout systems. MediaCore works across the Paramount ecosystem with a variety of platforms and stakeholders.
We are looking for an Engineer passionate about large scale video ecosystems, who cares about code quality, uptime, performance, continuous deployment, design principles, and test-driven development. An engineer that finds architecting to very diverse requirements and highly-fluctuating scale intriguing, and who enjoys innovating beyond anything you can find on Google or StackOverflow.
In this role, we work closely with fellow engineers to enable modern, high-quality media delivery using a combination of in-house and off-the-shelf technologies. You'll be crucial in the team's process when translating high-level requirements into maintainable, efficient, and scalable self-healing solutions. This role will have an extra focus on maintaining and extending a large-scale dynamic media packaging service streaming common last-mile protocols written in C and Go. You'll be designing groundbreaking features from the ground up that allow Paramount/ViacomCBS to stay on top of the latest in streaming technologies in a rapidly changing industry. Does this sound like you?
- Maintain and improve the core of our on-the-fly packaging service written in C while implementing high-performance greenfield functionality to support live and VOD workflows
- Build out of a scheduling service for both Live and VOD assets to product stitched live streams
- Work with engineers across the company to optimize video experience in the context of large-scale production websites and applications!
- Contribute to the core of our in-house dynamic media packaging system for live and VOD workflows
- Work with product and QA teams to develop test plans for existing and new functionality
- Contribute and encourage an engineering culture that values software quality and maintainability
- Collaborate with other engineers and members of the Video Processing team to determine priorities, best practices, and refine functional requirements
What you bring to the team
- Strong experience designing and implementing maintainable, scalable, and pragmatic software solutions from the ground up
- Proficiency in C and Go or similar systems-level programming language with a passion for writing high-performance, efficient code!
- Experience with cloud technologies, preferably AWS and GCP
- Good knowledge of microservices and distributed systems architectures
- Experience with technical writing and design documentation
- Strong communication with proven ability to work well within a team
- Experience with streaming protocols like HLS & MPEG-DASH
- Experience with Digital Rights Management Systems (DRM), including Playready, Widevine & FairPlay
- Knowledge of FFmpeg/Libav APIs and experience maintaining Libav-based solutions in production
- Knowledge of the color space, bit depth, and HDR systems
- Experience deploying high-volume services using Kubernetes
- Proficiency in modern systems programming languages such as Rust
- Patches or code publicly available
- Open Source development experience
Paramount is an equal opportunity employer (EOE) including disability/vet.
At Paramount, the spirit of inclusion feeds into everything that we do, on-screen and off. From the programming and movies we create to employee benefits/programs and social impact outreach initiatives, we believe that opportunity, access, resources and rewards should be available to and for the benefit of all. Paramount is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, creed, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, and Veteran status.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you may request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access. https://www.paramount.com/careers as a result of your disability. You can request reasonable accommodations by calling 212.846.5500 or by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Only messages left for this purpose will be returned.
Paramount believes in creating environments that allow our primary focus to remain on providing entertainment, education and information to our millions of viewers around the world. As part of this commitment to health and safety, Paramount requires COVID-19 vaccines for current U.S. employees, including all newly hired employees, subject to applicable law. Union employees are subject to the agreement reached between the Company and the applicable Union.
Nearest Major Market: Manhattan
Nearest Secondary Market: New York City