Principal Software Engineer
If you’re looking for a career that transforms, inspires, challenges, and rewards you, then come join us! Verisk Analytics is a global supplier of risk assessment services and decision analytics for customers in a variety of markets, including insurance, healthcare, financial services, supply chain, and others. We’re a thriving public company with solid revenue growth and earnings and offices worldwide. And we’re continually looking for ways to augment our existing markets and expand into new markets with excellent growth potential. At Verisk, you’ll be part of an organization that’s committed to serving the long-term interests of our stakeholders, including the communities where we operate.
We are looking for a Solutions Architect to help break new ground building decision support systems using large volumes of data and a variety of analytical solutions. Responsible for the analysis, definition, design, construction, testing, installation, modification, and maintenance of properly engineered software systems that meet agreed business needs. Looking for someone with strong technical skills and interest in emerging technology who can conceptualize new solutions that enable business growth. A successful track record of delivering new and innovative products is important. This is an opportunity to do cutting-edge work in a variety of technical areas.
- Responsible for managing a team of software designers and developers to deliver high quality internally designed software and processes within budget and on schedule.
- Direct and coordinate business planning, proposals, projects, and overall support of the various activities within the Insurance Programs and Analytic Services team.
- Build strong and productive partnerships with internal teams locally, and across the enterprise.
- Develops and implements long term strategic direction including Software Architecture and alignment with company performance objectives.
- Participates in full software development life cycle delivering robust high performance applications and services adhering to team and corporate standards, guidelines, and policies.
- Provides work breakdown and estimates for small software development tasks.
- Provides timely status updates for areas of individual responsibilities in projects.
- Provides long-term maintenance and support for developed or enhanced systems
- Has a deep understanding of distributed service-oriented architecture, including RESTful styles
- Familiarity with object-oriented and functional programming paradigms / languages
- Understanding of UI/UX design processes and frameworks (jQuery, Angular, Ember, etc.)
- Experience with Agile architecture and development
- Understands the design implications of incorporating analytics into solutions and delivering information to users through a variety of interfaces
- Is skilled in design and deployment for elastic computing and cloud environments
- Can build systems that are performant and robust
- 8+ years of software engineering/architect experience in a software product development environment.
- Experience with database systems such as DB2, Oracle, MySQL or other SQL, NoSQL databases is a plus. Familiar with database architecture.
- Facile with the Windows, Unix or Linux operating system, shell scripting and its basic commands.
- Understanding of multi-threading, memory management, networking, I/O concepts, and performance aspects of common classes and algorithms.
- Detail oriented self-starter who can produce effective OO designs, and write robust and efficient implementations of defined interfaces.
- Development experience using SQL queries and stored procedures/triggers is a plus.
- Familiar with IIS, Apache, Tomcat, XML, HTTP and TCP/IP networks. Perl, Python is a plus
- Experience in .NET/Java code optimization, profiling, and heap dump analysis a plus.
- Familiar with source control versioning system such as Perforce / CVS / Subversion.
- Demonstrated track record of working effectively with technology and delivering software.
- Experience with installation, maintenance, and troubleshooting of server components in a highly distributed environment a plus.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience with high volume content retrieval systems is preferred.
- Experience with command/Query parsing and transformation is a plus.
- Knowledge of project management methodologies is a plus.
- Computer Science / Software Engineering four year or related degree or equivalent work experience.
- Certified RDBMs developer a plus.
- Microsoft/J2EE certified developer a plus.
- New Development, --Product Management/Software Development Manager, Information Technology, -Development/Software Development
Bachelors (or equivalent work experience)
Years of Experience
Back to top