Chief Merchandising Officer
The Chief Merchandising Officer will build and communicate a compelling vision for how the business will grow through line and brand extensions. As part of a senior team in charge of the brand's direction and execution, accountable for ensuring the consistency of Vera Bradley's brand DNA representation in the market and drive development of the Merchandising Brief. Accountable for achieving established margin targets through optimized merchandising and assortment strategies that engage the Vera Bradley customer.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES (Note: Other duties may be assigned)
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Partner with the Chief Creative Officer to mobilize the creative functions of the organization to execute the vision.
- Collaborate with all key members of the organization including Design, Marketing, Sales, Strategy, IP&D, Production and FP&A to ensure that all relevant activities are aligned with the merchandising strategies for impeccable, on time execution.
- Collaborate with leaders of Marketing, Product Design and Development, Strategy and Business Development, and the Chief Creative Officer to ensure optimal alignment of seasonal plans and execution as well as the long-term strategy for Vera Bradley's creative endeavors.
- Collaborate with Sales, Finance, IP&D to drive sales and gross margin dollars post launch.
- Communicate sales and breakdowns of financial goals by category.
- Find the "big ideas" and opportunities in terms of product, channel, license opportunities, co-branded ventures, blue sky initiatives & special events.
- Work with the senior team in charge of the brand's direction and execution to create a shared and cohesive vision for these opportunities.
- Accountable for the development and execution of Vera Bradley's merchandising strategy for each season through the various categories and collections
- Own the Company MAP and accountable for making in-season changes that support the achievement of established seasonal brand & financial objectives
- Achieve Gross Margin and Inventory targets
- Oversee the global assortment planning and analysis process
- Oversee product sourcing organization
- Oversee an appropriate pricing strategy
- Set the strategy for visual merchandising
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
- 12-15+ years of merchandising and leadership experience within the retail and/or wholesale environment
- Experience overseeing Sourcing, Planning and Allocations functions
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Outstanding leadership skills and senior executive presence
- Experience managing a team of buyers through process of merchandise strategy, acquisition and in-season execution
- Good understanding of merchandising financials and the ability to manage profitability; strong analytical aptitude
- Team player with strong work ethic
- Fashion-forward sensibility, ability to identify and capitalize on current trends and execute a successful promotion strategy
- Ability to work under pressure, meet deadlines and handle multiple projects
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL DEMANDS
The physical demands described here are representative of those an individual must meet to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Office environment. Utilizing an office desk – sitting, reading, listening, or speaking with the ability to move intermittently throughout the day
- Strong sensory skills, such as good eyesight, good hearing, and dexterity
- Ability to operate office equipment, including computers, copiers, fax machines, and phones
Occasional travel as required to support the business
Equal Opportunity Employer/Vets/Disabled
Vera Bradley is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Affirmative Action Employer. For more information, please click the following links:
Vera Bradley's Equal Employment and Affirmative Action Policy
Equal Employment Opportunity is The Law (in English)
Equal Employment Opportunity is The Law (in Spanish)
Equal Employment Opportunity is The Law (Supplement)
E-Verify Participation Poster (English)
E-Verify Participation Poster (Spanish)
Right to Work Poster (English)
Right to Work Poster (Spanish)
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment application process, please send an e-mail to [email protected] Please include the accommodation you are requesting and your contact information. Reasonable accommodations are considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation and other EEO/Affirmative Action issues will be responded to from this e-mail address.
Meet Some of Vera Bradley's Employees
Customer Service Manager
Denise manages part-time, full-time, and seasonal customer service representatives at Vera Bradley, answering customer calls, questions, and order inquiries through emails, live-chats, and writing.
Back to top