Chief Marketing Officer
Responsible for leveraging Vera Bradley's brand domestically and internationally and developing and executing the marketing strategies and programs to drive sales across all channels of distribution. Direct P&L responsibility for the eCommerce channel to include developing the channel strategy. Drive development and execution of innovative marketing programs, promotional strategies, loyalty programs and customer service strategies on a seasonal basis with a focus on maximizing existing approaches and driving change with new innovations and a keen eye toward evaluating and measuring impact on profitability and sales. Additionally, this position will evolve, influence and lead the company's global digital marketing strategy to include social media, digital advertising and search initiatives. Serve as a key member of the Executive Team, responsible for developing and executing Company strategy while ensuring preservation of the Vera Bradley brand and culture.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES (Note: Other duties may be assigned)
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Develop strategies to leverage and expand the Vera Bradley brand, building upon our classic heritage and core customer segments with a focus on modernizing the brand in a manner that broadens its appeal across a broader set of customer demographics domestically and internationally
- Responsible for building the brand image to become "aspirational" across an expanding target market
- Develop an approach to customer segmentation that results in increased spend share of wallet and profitability. Develop mechanisms to track profitability by customer segment, increase retention of existing customers and acquire new customers
- Develop the overall annual and seasonal marketing programs and plans, including traditional catalog, promotions, in-store events, PR, philanthropy and digital marketing strategies to drive traffic into all channels. Build dashboards to track effectiveness of programs to focus on continuous learning and improvement.
- Develop a marketing governance model to streamline decision-making across channels that is built upon creating partnerships and driving collaboration
- Develop economic and competitive sensing mechanisms to maintain a pulse on external influences affecting the company's business
- Develop and execute a short and long term plan to grow the revenue and profitability of the eCommerce channel
- Provide strong leadership and mentoring to various members of the Marketing and Ecommerce teams
- Evaluate the current organization structure and people to determine alignment with the marketing growth strategy
- Build a pipeline of talent internally and externally to fuel the growth of the business including developing appropriate development strategies and plans for key talent.
- Play an active, collaborative role in the company's Brand Steering committee, along with senior members of Product Design and Development, Merchandising, Strategy, and Sales, whose ongoing focus is on both product and experiential innovation for the brand.
- In concert with the CEO and the Executive Team, participate in the development of the Company's strategic plan; implement change necessary to support strategic initiatives while preserving/cultivating the company's unique, positive culture.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor's degree in business administration, marketing, or related field or equivalent experience. Master's degree preferred.
- 10+ years marketing experience in building brands and designing and executing marketing strategies and programs within a retail or wholesales environment, preferably within apparel, accessories or home goods industries
- Experience leading marketing in an omni-channel retailer or wholesaler; specialty retail or wholesale experience is preferred
- Experience leading an eCommerce business
- Experience utilizing sophisticated customer insights and analytics, either through direct supervision of these functions or effective
- partnering with agencies
- 5+ years' experience managing a functional staff
- Public company experience strongly preferred
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Understanding of customer segmentation, customer research and customer acquisition and retention strategies
- Understanding of marketing through indirect channels, including small retailers and large department stores, on-line channels and specialty channels such as HSN and QVC
- Demonstrated ability to lead and develop strong teams
- Ability to think strategically and understand business issues to link results to organizational effectiveness
- Detail oriented with the ability to manage multiple projects and tasks simultaneously
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to build and maintain good rapport with internal and external customers and handle situations with confidence, tact and resourcefulness
- Flexible, adaptable with the ability to work under pressure to meet deadlines in a fast paced, growth company
ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL DEMANDS
The physical demands described here are representative of those an individual must meet to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Office environment. Utilization of office desk - sitting, reading, listening or speaking with the ability to move intermittently throughout the day
- Strong sensory skills, such as good eyesight, good hearing, and dexterity
- Ability to operate office equipment, including computers, copiers, fax machines, and phones
- Overnight business travel as necessary
Equal Opportunity Employer/Vets/Disabled
Vera Bradley is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Affirmative Action Employer. For more information, please click the following links:
Vera Bradley's Equal Employment and Affirmative Action Policy
Equal Employment Opportunity is The Law (in English)
Equal Employment Opportunity is The Law (in Spanish)
Equal Employment Opportunity is The Law (Supplement)
E-Verify Participation Poster (English)
E-Verify Participation Poster (Spanish)
Right to Work Poster (English)
Right to Work Poster (Spanish)
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment application process, please send an e-mail to [email protected] Please include the accommodation you are requesting and your contact information. Reasonable accommodations are considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation and other EEO/Affirmative Action issues will be responded to from this e-mail address.
Meet Some of Vera Bradley's Employees
Customer Service Manager
Denise manages part-time, full-time, and seasonal customer service representatives at Vera Bradley, answering customer calls, questions, and order inquiries through emails, live-chats, and writing.
Back to top