Front End Engineering Intern
Venture for America is a nonprofit startup that recruits, selects, and trains highly talented recent college grads, places them at startups in emerging US cities for two years of front-lines experience, and provides them with access to the network and resources to become company builders and job creators. The Fellowship is highly selective, as is our team, and we’re looking for people who can jump in and make a huge impact.
We’re currently seeking motivated, passionate college students to join our team at VFA HQ for the fall of 2017. If you’re a talented go-getter with an interest in entrepreneurship, the Venture for America internship program (#InternsforAmerica) is a great opportunity to get hands-on experience at a high-growth, mission-driven nonprofit startup. Specifically, we're looking for a Front-End Engineering Intern to help drive the development of VFA’s current app ecosystem and help push us in new directions.
- Are a current student at an NYC-area college or university, in any major
- Welcome challenges and responsibility; you’re an ambitious self-starter who’s reliable and conscientious
- Demonstrate next-level organizational skills and attention to detail
- Give everything 10% more than it requires, and feel there is no task too small
- Prioritize and manage multiple tasks simultaneously
- Demonstrate excellent communication skills on the phone, over email, and in person
- Have experience in one or more of the following:
- PHP and Ruby on Rails: Depending on interest, you may write in these languages.
- HTML / CSS: As per usual with web apps.
- Have strong values alignment with VFA and are excited about our mission
What you'll do
- Solve problems through technology for your end users. You care about their experience and want to improve their lives often in both small, incremental, and iterative ways and occasionally in big ways.
- Write durable, modular high quality code by pairing features with test and writing code that the next person can understand and easily extend.
- Push test-validated code live to VFA applications.
- Contribute to the design of VFA applications and have the opportunity to execute on that design.
- Have the opportunity to work on the full stack from developing database models to building the views, controllers, and services that power the front end of the app.
- Manage at least one major project that will serve as the capstone of your internship
The good stuff
- The VFAmily: we have a fun, social office culture, and you’ll have an opportunity to make a real impact on a small but growing team.
- The inside scoop: you’ll get a front row seat to the VFA Fellowship program and the recruitment and selection of our 2017 class.
- The substantive, marketable experience: we treat our interns like VFA team members. We’ll give you lots of responsibility from day one, and the more you rise to the occasion the more we’ll have you take on.
- The network and expertise: we’re pros when it comes to applying and interviewing for jobs and have an extensive network of partners and supporters. If you’re great, we can be a career resource for you down the line.
- The perks: we offer a $500 stipend, free coffee and snacks, and frequent team lunches.
Back to top