Fall 2017 Internship Program
- Are a current student at an NYC-area college or university, in any major
- Welcome challenges and responsibility; you’re an ambitious self-starter who’s reliable and conscientious
- Demonstrate next-level organizational skills and attention to detail
- Give everything 10% more than it requires, and feel there is no task too small
- Prioritize and manage multiple tasks simultaneously
- Demonstrate excellent communication skills on the phone, over email, and in person
- Have strong values alignment with VFA and are excited about our mission
What You'll Do:
- Work 10-20 hours a week at our Manhattan office
- Pitch in on all major events and organizational priorities, from recruiting and selecting our next class of rock star Fellows to planning major events
- Work closely with one department at VFA (see below!) – we’ll help you determine the best fit for your interests and skill set
- Manage at least one major project that will serve as the capstone of your internship – again, we’ll help you figure this out
VFA Departments Hiring Interns:
- The Development team is responsible for fundraising to cover all operating costs for VFA, through cultivating corporate partnerships, individual donors, securing institutional grants, and putting on annual events. We are looking for an intern to help with fundraising activities including event support, donor research and meeting preparation, donation acknowledgement letters, data entry and database management.
- The Marketing team handles everything related to the VFA brand and helps amplify our message to the right audiences. We’re looking for someone with video editing chops to help us create new content that will speak to potential applicants. You’ll also help us manage our website and blog, social media channels, assist with PR efforts, and event management.
- The Programs team runs the ongoing training, job support, and skill development opportunities that transform our Fellows into value creation engines, beginning with our summer Training Camp. We have openings for two interns. Beyond supporting the team on all Fellow-facing initiatives and processes, each intern will focus on one of the following areas:
- Content Management Intern: Bolster VFA’s learning management platform, Venture Academy, by reviewing recorded trainings and presentations from Training Camp and editing/packaging them into digestible course modules. Develop and implement recommendations for engaging and educating Fellows through the learning management platform, tip sheets, and best practice guides. Assist in managing content on our Fellow-facing Squarespace site.
- Data Analysis & Strategy Intern: Analyze data on current Fellows, Alumni, and subsets of Fellows (such as underrepresented minority groups) to evaluate their performance and growth in the program. Play an integral role in recommending strategies and programming to better support Fellows/Alumni and improve their experience in the Fellowship. Necessary skills include data evaluation and visualization in either Microsoft Excel and/or Google Sheets.
- The Launch Team works within the Programs department to help Fellows access the capital and mentorship they need to start and grow successful companies. We’re looking for an intern to contribute to initiatives such as our social impact award pitch competition, and the development of launch curricula for our future founders. In particular, we have a preference for individuals who already love to consume educational content on entrepreneurship, and those with experience in creating online courses, editing video content, or otherwise have had exposure to the creation and dissemination of educational information.
- The Talent team recruits and selects Fellows for each new class at VFA. Our responsibilities include the planning and execution of hundreds of on-campus events, the review of close to 1,500 online applications each year, hundreds of Skype interviews, and 8 Selection Days, the final round in the application process for the Fellowship. We’re looking for someone who is eager to scale the process with us while simultaneously helping to manage efficient logistical processes.
The Good Stuff:
- The VFAmily: we have a fun, social office culture, and you’ll have an opportunity to make a real impact on a small but growing team.
- The inside scoop: you’ll get a front row seat to the VFA Fellowship program and the recruitment and selection of our 2017 class.
- The substantive, marketable experience: we treat our interns like VFA team members. We’ll give you lots of responsibility from day one, and the more you rise to the occasion the more we’ll have you take on.
- The network and expertise: we’re pros when it comes to applying and interviewing for jobs and have an extensive network of partners and supporters. If you’re great, we can be a career resource for you down the line.
- The perks: we offer a $500 stipend and plenty of free coffee and snacks.
Meet Some of Venture For America's Employees
Senior Marketing Manager
Megan and her team maintain VFA’s website and social media, create marketing materials for donors and prospective applicants, and effectively communicate current fellows' stories.
Back to top