Technical Program Manager
We all love what we do, and we all love doing it together, because we demand the best people to make the best Venmo.
Venmo was founded on the principles of breaking down the foreboding walls of financial transactions to make them intuitive and even fun with friends. And it worked, people love sending money with Venmo.
But we’re not done. We want to take that magic of sending money with Venmo and cascade it into every place you use your money. We want to connect the people of the world with their money, in an intuitive way, then connect them with each other in a genuine way.
All that’s going to take a lot of figuring out. Let’s figure it out together.
Engineering at Venmo
At Venmo, we are creating a product that people love. We strive to create a delightful user experience while connecting the world and empowering people through payments. We are looking for intellectually curious people who want to be inspired and inspire others to change the world.
Engineering is a craft, and at Venmo we want the internals of our software to be as elegant as the end user experience we are designing. We spend our days scaling our infrastructure and building new features to meet and exceed our user’s needs and wants. We teach and learn from one another, and push each other to be at our creative and analytical bests.
Technical Program Manager:
As a Technical Program Manager, you will have the important role of ensuring engineering programs / projects are delivered on time, on budget, with high quality, high security, high efficiency and achieve the desirable outcomes. You will manage interdependencies between other BU, be very hands-on and actively anticipate and manage risks and issues. You will facilitate cross team collaboration and roadmap planning within specific programs / initiative, and demonstrate true end to end program ownership with workgroup and initiative leaders and the program team. You will streamline the roadmap and program planning processes to make them efficient and effective and serve as an agile coach to the product development team to promote adoption of agile best practices that fit the team.
Things you'll do as a Technical Manager:
- Drive execution and delivery of complex programs / projects
- Ensure on-time and on-budget delivery of initiatives, programs, solutions, and projects with high quality and availability - Be execution focus and resume full end to end ownership on delivery
- Responsible for all phases of program management lifecycle from program initiation to planning to execution and closure
- Proactively manage risks and issues, escalate in a timely manner. Manage and set program expectation and manage all inter-team dependencies.
- Be very hands-on and always in the know of every aspect of the programs. Be the one person that can answer all delivery and program statuses related questions
- Facilitate roadmap & resource planning
- Work with Product leads and Engineering leads to develop and manage the workgroup roadmap, ensure it is accurate, visible and up-to-date
- Work with Product leads and Engineering leads on project prioritization and resource allocation based on Venmo business priorities
- Liaise with Central Planning & Central PMO teams to ensure Venmo team is plugged into the bigger process
- Advocate / negotiate Venmo needs on cross-team dependencies
- Govern and improve processes
- Ensure adherence to Venmo processes within workgroup (SDLC, cross team collaboration, roadmap planning)
- Drive continuous improvement to Venmo processes based on feedback and changing business needs
- Coach initiatives teams on agile best practices that fit the team culture and meet business requirements and needs
What we are looking for:
- Bachelors and/or Masters in Computer Science or related field of study
- 10-12 years of experience of technical program management experience in the internet or software industry
- 3+ years program managing software product development in an Agile Scrum environment. Successful candidate will have a strong understanding of the Agile methodology and can demonstrate a successful track record of delivering large, complex technology products across multiple scrum teams and organizational units that meet agreed upon business objectives and performance metrics
- Proven ability to develop effective, matrix, cross-organization relationships, collaborating and communicating across business and technology stakeholders and multiple geographies
- Strong technical acumen, able to ensure that technical solutions, strategies, practices, and governance deliver business and customer value
- Deep knowledge of program & project management process, management software tools, templates and techniques
- Strong bias to action
- Strong leadership skills; self-motivated and a self-starter with a “Can do” attitude
- Team player, energetic personality, quality minded, focused, committed, able to work independently in a fast paced, changing environment
- Strong team management skills, able to instill passion, loyalty, and commitment among team members at all levels of the organization
- High degree of professional confidence and credibility with effective presence strong written and verbal communication skills, able to communicate technical concepts and plans at all levels
- Strong negotiation skills in all mediums and throughout all levels of the organization.
- Strong problem solving skills, able to prioritize among many conflicting needs, advocate a course of action, and pursue it consistently but flexible and responsive to dynamic situations
- Continually seeks opportunities to increase stakeholder value
See Inside the Office of Venmo
Venmo strives to connect the world and empower people through electronic payments. With Venmo, users can easily split the bill, pay friends back for cab fare, and much more—all while sharing payment notes in a social feed. Additionally, Venmo allows users to make purchases within some of their other favorite mobile apps.
Back to top