Software Engineering Manager- Web
We all love what we do, and we all love doing it together, because we demand the best people to make the best Venmo.
Venmo was founded on the principles of breaking down the foreboding walls of financial transactions to make them intuitive and even fun with friends. And it worked, people love sending money with Venmo.
But we’re not done. We want to take that magic of sending money with Venmo and cascade it into every place you use your money. We want to connect the people of the world with their money, in an intuitive way, then connect them with each other in a genuine way.
All that’s going to take a lot of figuring out. Let’s figure it out together.
Engineering at Venmo
At Venmo, we are creating a product that people love. We strive to create a delightful user experience while connecting the world and empowering people through payments. We are looking for intellectually curious people who want to be inspired and inspire others to change the world.
Engineering is a craft, and at Venmo we want the internals of our software to be as elegant as the end user experience we are designing. We teach and learn from one another, and push each other to be at our creative and analytical bests.
Software Engineering Manager (Web team):
Engineering Managers have the important role of working with engineers to improve processes and collaboration across groups and to handle people-related issues, from recruiting and career development to organizational dynamics and beyond. With a strong technical understanding of web development, the Software Engineering Manager is uniquely qualified to help drive initiatives to improve user experience at Venmo. This position reports to the Head of Engineering.
Things you'll do as the Web Engineering Manager at Venmo:
- Motivate, lead, coach, and mentor the web engineering team
- Ensure the timely delivery of engineering initiatives while continually raising the bar
- Encourage technical and organizational innovation while hitting development deadlines
- Foster a collaborative attitude within web engineering and across Engineering, Design, and Product Management teams to ensure releases go smoothly
- Manage engineer performance -- leveraging strengths and ameliorating weaknesses
- Play a key role in people-related initiatives including recruiting, on-boarding, performance reviews, training, career advancement, etc.
What we are looking for:
- 8+ years experience in software development or a related field
- 4+ years of experience managing software engineers individually and in small teams
- Experience mentoring and developing web engineers.
- Experience building teams, recruiting, and interviewing for software engineers
- Excellent written and oral communication skills (must be able to give honest, direct, and actionable feedback)
- Ability to architect, design, and develop complex engineering solutions, with good sense on estimation
- Knowledge and experience using modern software development and project management methodologies (e.g. scrum, TDD, pair programming)
Back to top