Senior Data Engineer
We all love what we do, and we all love doing it together, because we demand the best people to make the best Venmo.
Venmo was founded on the principles of breaking down the foreboding walls of financial transactions to make them intuitive and even fun with friends. And it worked, people love sending money with Venmo.
But we’re not done. We want to take that magic of sending money with Venmo and cascade it into every place you use your money. We want to connect the people of the world with their money, in an intuitive way, then connect them with each other in a genuine way.
All that’s going to take a lot of figuring out. Let’s figure it out together.
Engineering at Venmo
At Venmo, we are creating a product that people love. We strive to create a delightful user experience while connecting the world and empowering people through payments. We are looking for intellectually curious people who want to be inspired and inspire others to change the world.
Engineering is a craft, and at Venmo we want the internals of our software to be as elegant as the end user experience we are designing. We spend our days scaling our infrastructure and building new features to meet and exceed our user’s needs and wants. We teach and learn from one another, and push each other to be at our creative and analytical bests.
Senior Data Engineer
As a Senior Data Engineer at Venmo you’ll work on the architectural refresh and expansion of data pipelining, warehousing, integration, and analytics infrastructure that all of Venmo relies on. If you love solving problems at scale, designing elegant data models, implementing resilient data pipelines, you’ll join a team of forward-thinking, passionate, and capable data engineers and analysts.
Things you'll do as the Senior Data Engineer at Venmo:
- Develop next-gen data pipelining and ETL framework based on Luigi, Python and AWS ecosystem
- Implement Change Data Capture components to feed our Redshift data warehouse with transactional data, in near real-time
- Design elegant and intuitive dimensional subject areas with self-service and industry best practices in mind
- Build out data quality monitoring and cleansing components
- Work with and learn from senior team members across Venmo, PayPal and Braintree as we re-architect and re-tool Venmo’s data infrastructure with a focus on quality, agility, security, and reliability.
- Bachelor's and/or Masters in computer science OR related field of study
- 8+ years experience in data engineering or a related field
- Experience developing and tuning data systems at scale, using technologies like Redshift, MySQL, Cassandra, MongoDB, Kafka, Luigi, etc.
- Fluency in Python (or Ruby), Bash, SQL.
- Experience with error logging and performance tools such as (Sentry, New Relic, etc.)
- Familiarity with Hadoop and distributed computing frameworks such as Spark or Storm a plus
- Strong communication skills with the ability to understand and explain technical issues to a non-technical audience
Back to top