Writer, Institutional Communications
As a client-focused company, we take pride in having helped millions of investors accomplish their financial goals. Vanguard crew are driven to inspire, inform, and educate clients to cut through market noise and make the best choices for investment success. We're currently seeking a Writer to help us tell the Vanguard story to institutional investors, retirement plan sponsors, and consultants.
The ideal candidate has an intimate knowledge of financial topics, collaborates well, and works effectively across various mediums such as presentations, web, social media, email, and print. As a Vanguard Writer, you'll benefit from career development opportunities, a policy of promoting from within, and workplace flexibility. In addition to gaining a stimulating and prominent role, you'll be part of a company where doing the right thing isn't just a tagline, it's our passion.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Write across media channels for institutional investors, especially the sponsors of defined-benefit plans and nonprofit organizations.
- Demonstrate knowledge about investments, portfolio construction, retirement plans, and the regulatory environment. Must be comfortable talking with subject matter experts on those topics.
- Take dry thought leadership pieces filled with data and make them sing with metaphors and analogies.
- Resolve ambiguous or conflicting input/feedback from partners and clients.
- Collaborate with multiple parties to meet tight deadlines.
- Provide clients with draft copy that is complete, concise, and accurate.
- Show initiative and creativity in identifying and meeting client needs. Be able to work with colleagues to develop and execute creative, "out of the box" ideas where appropriate.
- Respond to edits and changes from reviewers with flexibility, while maintaining high standards for quality and accuracy.
- Serve as mentor to less experienced writers by providing specific feedback on their copy, story ideas, and interviewing skills.
- Participate in special projects and performs other duties as assigned.
- Please provide three to five writing samples that exemplify the first three bullets.
The Ideal Candidate Should Possess:
- An undergraduate degree (Major in English, Journalism, Communications or Technical Writing preferred) or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Minimum five years of specifically related experience, with demonstrated excellence in writing.
- In-depth knowledge in relevant discipline.
- Aptitude for using computer-based communication tools and for learning new technologies.
- Experience working with the design and print production process preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to explain complex subject matter in plain English.
- Demonstrated organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Strong interpersonal skills and professional demeanor.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to write quickly and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work independently on multiple projects.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel.
Occasional extended work-time required to meet print deadlines.
Vanguard is not offering visa sponsorship for this position.
Meet Some of Vanguard's Employees
Shelley produces creative recruitment marketing campaigns in order to share Vanguard’s brand, mission, events and culture with new talent in the industry.
Back to top