Workforce Planning Manager
Vanguard, one of the world’s largest investment management companies and a recognized employer of choice, seeks a Workforce Planning Manager to design, implement, lead and evolve Vanguards’ Strategic Workforce Planning capability. Lead workforce strategy and planning engagements in support of enterprise and divisional business objectives by delivering strategic workforce planning services including, but not limited to, workforce strategy diagnostics, workforce strategy development and workforce planning support. Serve as Vanguard’s primary workforce planning thought leader and subject matter expert.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage staff, creating a strong team atmosphere. Conduct regular one-on-one meetings and provide guidance, training and motivation as necessary to develop staff. Hire, evaluate and counsel personnel. Follow corporate performance management procedures per established Vanguard standards as required. Set performance standards, review performance, provide feedback, and recommend wage increases in accordance with all applicable Human Resources policies and procedures.
- Develop a strategic approach to workforce management that combines insights from workforce analytics, human capital best practices and business strategy. Provide consultation on workforce strategy. Manage enterprise, divisional and regional business consulting engagements to support workforce strategy and planning efforts and provide specific solutions and guidance on large scale transformation efforts. Holistically review, refine and consolidate divisional workforce plans into an enterprise view that can be used to guide longer term workforce planning needs.
- Manage the deployment of the Strategic Workforce Planning Consultant(s), aligning them with appropriate engagements based on business demand and individual skills, experience and developmental opportunities. Coordinate with other OCS subject matter experts as necessary.
- Collaborate with internal HR partners (e.g., Talent Management, Vanguard University, Culture and Inclusion) to identify opportunities to conduct workforce diagnosis and design and refine HR solutions in line with integrated workforce plans. Develop strong relationships and act as a liaison with other Vanguard shared service partners (e.g., Finance, Legal, Compliance) to mitigate risk and link human capital and financial/budgetary data to present leaders with a broader context for making strategic human capital decisions. Collaborate with divisional workforce planning teams to better understand divisional and subdivision needs while providing appropriate support and insight.
- Create, maintain and evolve the analytics strategy that informs strategic workforce planning consulting and reporting efforts. Partner closely with the OCS Analytics function to inform the types of data and analysis that will assist with effective workforce strategy development and planning. Develop a strong understanding of external macro-economic and human capital data and trends that may affect the future Vanguard workforce and review findings and implications for business and crew with HRBPs and divisional leadership.
- Remain current on strategic workforce management tools, techniques, strategies and practices to provide effective and efficient consultative advice to business clients. Develop and maintain tools, templates and thought leadership to support workforce planning. Create the business case for new organizational and informational infrastructure (e.g., skills inventories, technology solutions, process enhancements, self-provisioning capabilities) to develop a comprehensive workforce planning capability at Vanguard.
- Actively support broader Talent management efforts. Identify critical workforce segments, talent requirements and potential new talent sources to support business goals. Work with Talent Management COE to inform programs and solutions to source, develop and retain key talent. Anticipate potential leadership gaps and advance the organization’s ability to retain top talent by predicting attrition risk and identifying potential solutions.
- Collaborate with OCS Engagement Lead peers to monitor consultant performance, collecting and synthesizing feedback from clients. Identify individualized and team-wide opportunities for learning and development. Promote ongoing knowledge sharing and training.
- Participates in and/or leads special projects and performs other activities as assigned.
The ideal candidate should possess
- Undergraduate degree or equivalent combination of training and experience. Advanced degree in a related field preferred.
- Minimum of five years progressive experience in one or more of the following specialties: workforce planning, consulting, financial analysis or data analysis.
- Experience working in a consultative capacity with senior leadership.
- Experience working in a global organization preferred.
- Understanding of HR policies and processes.
- Ability to develop and manage a standardized planning process that articulates strategic, tactical and financial goals, plans and dependencies.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills. Formal training in multivariate statistics preferred.
- Excellent relationship management and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including the ability to organize and present information in a clear and concise way to a variety of audiences.
- Strong executive presence.
- People leadership skills including mentoring, training and day-to-day management of direct reports.
Meet Some of Vanguard's Employees
RFP Specialist, CFP®
Megan is part of Vanguard’s Institutional Sales Group. She ensures that each and every information request is processed before being returned to a prospective client.
Back to top