Telecom Network Support Engineer - Tier 2
To provide senior level Tier 2 Network Operations Support services, including troubleshooting, diagnosing, and resolving complex hardware and/or software issues elevated from the Support Center and Technical Services groups.
This position is only available to crew currently in the IT division.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides senior level Tier 2 IT services, including troubleshooting, diagnosing, and resolving complex hardware and/or software issues and outages elevated from the Support Center and Technical Services groups. Maintains and troubleshoots hardware and/or software systems (e.g., firewalls, load balancing appliances, switches, routers, DWDM, etc.) on multiple platforms.
- Trains staff on processes and technologies for crew on all shifts. Ensures continuity of process between day and night shifts. Troubleshoots and resolves complex issues elevated from staff. Leads efforts to proactively identify impact, risks, options, recommendations and conflicts.
- Monitors and resolves automated system alerts and alarms that indicate system functions were not completed within established service levels. Recommends automated monitoring enhancements.
- Coordinates resolution activities with IT groups across systems and platforms (e.g., availability team), so they occur in sync. Leads and provides central point of contact for 1CALL and CRISIS situations. Ensures appropriate escalation procedures are implemented during event situations. Lead efforts to rapidly triage problems and determine impact to overall production operations. Communicates issue status.
- Provides overall technical expertise for the team. Acts as the central point of contact for the team in all matters of technical infrastructure. Evaluates all tactical and strategic technical initiatives to assess their impact. Proactively coordinates crew activities to ensure that all projects are completed efficiently, effectively, and in a timely manner with no disruption to operations.
- Develops and maintains Operational Policies and Procedures for the team. Leads efforts to implement “best of class” processes that will enhance service delivery, improve the operation and facilitate overall client satisfaction. Writes documentation, including policies and procedures. Creates graphics, including IT problem notification flows. Administers the Tier 2 documentation repository.
- Provides performance input to Manager for the purpose of ensuring effective crew training and development for the team.
- Answers the Tier 2 hot line and resolves complex issues. Reviews shift logs and turnover reports for accuracy. Manages and distributes all work requests submitted during shift. Coordinates work assignments for crew, monitors for effective completion and reports on their progress.
- Identifies performance and capacity issues, and trends. Identifies opportunities to improve system and application performance, including automating manual system tasks.
- Adds, updates, and closes records in the IT Problem Management and Change Management databases. Reviews related records to identify requests that may have an impact on systems, provides risk assessments, and escalates change conflicts. Ensures appropriate levels of post-certifications are in place.
- Participates in change management and related meetings to identify systems issues, scheduling conflicts, risk assessments and post-certification procedures. Represents planned, unplanned and rescue change needs for the team.
- Creates ad hoc reports of significant system trends, including problem occurrences and responses.
- Operationally tests and evaluates new technologies. Reviews vendor literature to identify product deficiencies, work arounds, and scheduled patches and updates. Integrates new technologies into existing telecommunications infrastructure. Creates Operational Runbooks for new technologies and trains staff.
- Thoroughly understands and complies with IT policies and procedures, especially those for quality and productivity standards that enable the team to meet established client service levels. Embrace the principles of VUE, lead VUE initiatives to improve the way we work, and manage team activities through effective dashboard metrics. Thoroughly understands and complies with Information Security policies and procedures.
- Participates in special projects and performs other related duties as assigned.
- Undergraduate degree in a related field or the equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Minimum of five years Tier 1 or 2 experience in technical specialty.
- Strong written and oral communication skills, including presentation skills.
- Strong analysis and problem solving skills.
- Strong negotiation skills.
- Advanced knowledge of multiple network infrastructure components: Cisco routers and switches (CAT/OS, IOS), XI50 Appliances, F5 BIG IP Appliances, PIX Firewalls, DWDM Networks, MAN/WAN architectures, Extranet Connectivity, Voice Over IP, and Sniffer Traces.
- Advanced knowledge of current versions of the following products: Lotus Notes, Microsoft Office Suite, HP Openview, Concorde e-Health, Tivoli Product Suite, Visio.
- Advanced knowledge of the following Tier 2 practices and concepts: project management methodology and deliverables, system utilities, software installation and configuration, IT service level agreements, full product life cycle, networks, technical standards and deliverables, troubleshooting techniques, log files, network protocols (e.g., TCP IP, SNA, etc.).
- Certifications – Holds one of the following certificates or has the ability to attain within 12 months of hire date: Cisco CCNA and CCNP strongly recommended or has an equivalent balance of training and experience.
Operations are 24 × 7, with coverage needed at RAD and Nortech Data Centers.
Vanguard is not offering visa sponsorship for this position.
Meet Some of Vanguard's Employees
RFP Specialist, CFP®
Megan is part of Vanguard’s Institutional Sales Group. She ensures that each and every information request is processed before being returned to a prospective client.
Back to top