Telecom Network - Lead
Job Profile SummaryTo provide expert level telecommunications network services, including designing, installing, configuring, and integrating new network technologies. To evaluate and recommend new network technologies and designs for building sites in the United States as well as international locations.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Provides expert level telecom network services, including designing, installing, configuring, and integrating new network technologies. Obtains project approval and funding. Identifies stake holders and forms project team. Conducts pilot and recommends go/no go decision. Verifies network installations meet production acceptance standards.
2. Tests and evaluates IT vendor products. Recommends vendor selections and new network architecture for building sites in the United States as well as international locations.
3. Provides expert level Tier 3 telecom network services for the most complex issues elevated from the Support Center and Technical Services groups. Troubleshoots and resolves chronic and catastrophic problems.
4. Identifies performance issues, interprets trends (e.g., traces of network traffic), and implements improvements.
5. Writes documentation, including policies and procedures.
6. Troubleshoots and resolves the most complex network issues.
7. Facilitates network traffic, security, systems monitoring and related discussions with IT and business managers.
8. Provides expert level network design and debugging services to development teams. Works closely with project managers and developers to implement reliable, manageable, and secure solutions for external connections.
9. Trains and mentors staff. Conducts formal training sessions, one-on-one sessions, and recommends training vendors.
10. Completes network capacity planning activities, including monitoring the network and establishing network capacity metrics. Initiates actions to prevent network degradation caused by capacity issues.
11. Identifies opportunities to automate manual system tasks.
12. Thoroughly understands and complies with IT policies and procedures, especially those for quality and productivity standards that enable the team to meet established client service levels. Thoroughly understands and complies with Information Security policies and procedures.
13. Participates in special projects and performs other related duties as assigned.
- Undergraduate degree in a related field or the equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Eight years’ network technician experience.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including presentation skills.
- Strong analysis and problem solving skills.
- Strong project leadership skills.
- Strong group facilitation skills.
- Expert knowledge of the following telecom network practices and concepts: network security, network architecture design, technical standards and deliverables, troubleshooting tools (e.g., protocol analyzers, load generators, and network traces), software and hardware installation and configuration, network hardware, protocols (e.g., TCP/IP, DLC, OSPF, and BGP).
- Expert knowledge of multiple IT platforms: AS/400, Client/server, IBM mainframe, Microsoft Windows NT, Cisco routers and switches, UNIX, F5 Networks BIG-IP, DataPower XI50 Integration Appliance.
- Expert knowledge of current versions of the following products: Cisco IOS, Concord, Lotus Notes, Microsoft Office Suite, Network General Sniffer, Visio, F5 Networks GTM/LTM, DataPower XI50
- Certifications – holds one of the certificates below or has the ability to attain within 12 months of hire date: Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA) certificate, Cisco Certified Network Professional (CCNP) certificate, Cisco Certified Design Professional (CCDP) or equivalent advanced Cisco network certificate.
- Certifications – holds the certificate or has the ability to attain within 12 months of hire date, preferred: Cisco Certified Internetwork Engineer (CCIE) certificate.
1. Weekday coverage: Regularly scheduled 5-day week, Mon. – Fri., normal business hours
2. Remote and off hours support: On-site network installations and upgrades are scheduled for off hours (e.g., midnight)
3. On call: Operations are 24 × 7.
Vanguard is not offering visa sponsorship for this position.
Back to top