Technical Team Manager - Netcentric Java
To manage and develop a team and provide expert level IT technical lead services, including the direction, evaluation, selection, configuration, implementation, and integration of new and existing technologies and tools.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- This staff member completes the following activities under minimal direction:
- Manages staff of 5-7 individual contributors consisting of Developers. Develops, mentors and provides guidance, training and motivation as necessary. Conducts regular one on one and staff meetings. Hires, evaluates and counsels crew. Follows corporate disciplinary procedures per established Vanguard standards as required. Sets performance standards, reviews performance, provides feedback, and recommends wage increases in accordance with all applicable Human Resources policies and procedures.
- Works with resource/department manager to ensure adequate resources are in place. Maintains appropriate staff to contractor ratios. Ensures team submits time sheets and status reports. Monitors completion of each person's deliverables (e.g., business system analyst, functional requirements). Mentors and develops technical crew at lower grade levels.
- Provides expert level IT technical lead services and direction for critical software, middleware, and/or hardware projects (e.g., applications, networks, communications, and client server technologies) on multiple platforms. Provides technical expertise in systems, technical infrastructure, tools, modeling, external interfaces, and other technical areas. Completes complex development, design, implementation, architecture design specification, and maintenance activities.
- Ensures the viability of IT deliverables. Recommends development options, including design, build/buy, and vendor purchase. Approves the team's technical deliverables. Conducts testing, including functionality, technical limitations, and security.
- Identifies potential solutions, including the cost/benefit of each option. Approves technical solutions proposed by team members. Elevates complex technical issues to IT experts, including architects and vendors. Resolves technical problems discovered by testers and internal clients. Responds to and resolves technical issues in a timely manner. Researches issues and performs root cause analysis.
- Communicates with project manager on a frequent basis. Provides realistic task and cost estimates.
- Maintains current knowledge of IT development methodology, architecture design, and technical standards. Mentors IT staff and identifies training needs. As new standards are instituted, ensures their usage by team members.
- Communicates with other technical leads, IT groups, and clients so they understand the project's technical implications, dependencies, and potential conflicts. Evaluates the impacts of change requests on own/shared technologies and effectively persuades and influences others on ideas.
- Reviews and approves documentation and diagrams created by IT team members (e.g., system specifications). Writes documentation, including technical standards and processes.
- Identifies opportunities for continuous quality improvement of technical standards, methodologies, and technologies.
- Participates in design, code, and test inspections throughout product life cycle to identify issues. Participates as a technical consultant at other project meetings. Presents technical status and issues at milestone reviews.
- For teams without a BSA, performs this staff member's duties, including interviewing business liaisons to diagram process flows and to write functional requirements. In the absence of the project manager, performs this staff member's duties, including coordinating daily systems analysis and development activities.
- Thoroughly understands and complies with IT policies and procedures, especially those for quality and productivity standards that enable the team to meet established client service levels. Thoroughly understands and complies with Information Security policies and procedures, and verifies deliverables meet Information Security requirements.
- Participates in special projects and performs other duties as assigned.
- Undergraduate degree in a related field or the equivalent combination of training and experience
- Five years experience in technical specialty. For development technical leads, includes three years' developer experience.
- Two to three years demonstrated leadership experience preferred.
- Strong, demonstrated analysis and problem solving skills
- Broad knowledge of the financial services industry
Expert knowledge of the following technical lead practices and concepts:
Full product life cycle
IT vendor product assessment
Wide range of technologies within technical specialty - from state of the art to legacy systems
Performance and stress testing
Quality assurance methodology and Inspections
Technical standards and deliverables
Migration and integration
Estimating, including design, development/purchase, and installation
Weekday coverage: Regularly scheduled 5-day week, Mon. - Fri., normal business hours
Remote and off hours support: See additional information for the specific requirements for this posting.
On call: See additional information for the specific requirements for this posting.
- Travel: For Charlotte, NC-based staff, limited travel to Valley Forge, PA is required for new employee orientation, project kickoff meetings, and training.
Vanguard is not offering visa sponsorship for this position
Meet Some of Vanguard's Employees
Shelley produces creative recruitment marketing campaigns in order to share Vanguard’s brand, mission, events and culture with new talent in the industry.
Back to top