Technical Lead - Next Gen Architecture
To provide expert level IT technical lead services, including the direction, evaluation, selection, configuration, implementation, and integration of new and existing technologies and tools.
This position is for a Technical Lead in support of Vanguard's e-mail messaging product suite for the Enterprise Messaging Team (EMT). The candidate will lead the development, support and enhancement of the custom developed applications.The candidate will also help define and implement the next generation EMT architecture by leveraging a service based, cloud first approach using the next generation architecture platform and technologies. The ideal candidate will have a strong development background with the following specific development skills or experience:
- Junit + a mocking framework (like EasyMock or Mockito)
- AngularJS (a plus)
- Jasmine (a plus)
- Node.js (a plus)
- Grunt (a plus)
- Unix/Basic understanding of environments and architecture (such as apache, tcserver, siteminder, etc)
- Linux Shell Scripting a plus
- Oracle: basic SQL skills. Oracle PL/SQL is a plus
- C and Pro*C is a plus
- Atlassian Development and Collaboration Tools
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides expert level IT technical lead services and direction for critical software, middleware, and/or hardware projects (e.g., applications, networks, communications, and client server technologies) on multiple platforms. Provides technical expertise in systems, technical infrastructure, tools, modeling, external interfaces, and other technical areas. Completes complex development, design, implementation, architecture design specification, and maintenance activities.
- Ensures the viability of IT deliverables. Recommends development options, including design, build/buy, and vendor purchase. Approves the team's technical deliverables. Conducts testing, including functionality, technical limitations, and security.
- Identifies potential solutions, including the cost/benefit of each option. Approves technical solutions proposed by team members. Elevates complex technical issues to IT experts, including architects and vendors. Resolves technical problems discovered by testers and internal clients. Responds to and resolves technical issues in a timely manner. Researches issues and performs root cause analysis.
- Communicates with project manager on a frequent basis. Identifies tasks and issues that may have an impact on service levels or schedules. Provides realistic task and cost estimates. Screens resumes of team members, interviews, makes hiring and assignment recommendations, and writes reviews.
- Maintains a current and working knowledge of IT development methodology, architecture design, and technical standards. Mentors IT staff and identifies training needs. As new standards are instituted, ensures their usage by team members. A Technical Lead II should be able to perform as a Developer III.
- Communicates with other technical leads, IT groups, and clients so they understand the project's technical implications, dependencies, and potential conflicts. Evaluates the impacts of change requests on own/shared technologies and effectively persuades and influences others on ideas.
- Reviews and approves documentation and diagrams created by IT team members (e.g., system specifications). Writes documentation, including technical standards and processes.
- Identifies opportunities for continuous quality improvement of technical standards, methodologies, and technologies.
- Participates in design, code, and test inspections throughout product life cycle to identify issues. Participates as a technical consultant at other project meetings. Presents technical status and issues at milestone reviews.
- For teams without a BSA, performs this staff member's duties, including interviewing business liaisons to diagram process flows and to write functional requirements. In the absence of the project manager, performs this staff member's duties, including coordinating daily systems analysis and development activities.
- Thoroughly understands and complies with IT policies and procedures, especially those for quality and productivity standards that enable the team to meet established client service levels. Thoroughly understands and complies with Information Security policies and procedures, and verifies deliverables meet Information Security requirements.
- Participates in special projects and performs other duties as assigned.
- Undergraduate degree in a related field or the equivalent combination of training and experience
- Eight years experience in technical specialty. For development technical leads, includes three years' developer experience.
- Strong, demonstrated analysis and problem solving skills
- Broad knowledge of the financial services industry
Strong written and oral communication skills, preferred
Vanguard is not offering visa sponsorship for this position.
Meet Some of Vanguard's Employees
Shelley produces creative recruitment marketing campaigns in order to share Vanguard’s brand, mission, events and culture with new talent in the industry.
Back to top