Technical Lead - Java/Angular
To provide senior level IT technical lead services, including the direction, evaluation, selection, configuration, implementation, and integration of new or existing technologies and tools.
In this exciting opportunity as a
Full Stack Technical Lead
in the Institutional sub-division, you will guide a team to deliver solutions which drive desired business outcomes within the context of Asset Management. The team will deliver a dynamic and scalable tool that facilitates active discussions around Vanguard's best-in-class indexing with current and prospective clients.
- Work on a Product Ownership team alongside the Asset Management business to defend and grow Vanguard index assets in the marketplace
- Providing senior-level expertise for developing web applications
- Using Continuous Delivery pipeline and AWS technologies
- Developing automated tests for functional, performance, and security testing using TDD methodology
- Providing thought leadership at the team and program level
- Communicating technical information with both technical and non-technical audiences
- Providing oversight and mentoring to the IT team
Undergraduate degree in a related field or the equivalent combination of training and experience. 5+ years of technical experience Demonstrated experience as a leader on an IT team Ideal Technical background
- Methodologies - TDD, OOP or OOD, Functional Programming, Design Patterns
- Architecture - Rest (Micro services) API Economy
- Cloud - AWS (preferred, not required) - The opportunity will provide exposure to work with and learn AWS
- Frameworks - Spring, Jersey/REST, Spring Integration
- Testing - JUnit, TDD using Cucumber, Mock Frameworks -- Mockito
- Familiarity with DevOps concepts, tools and continuous delivery pipelines (Bamboo, Jenkins, Maven, Bitbucket, Jira, Sonar)
Vanguard Technical Lead Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides expert level IT technical lead services and direction for critical software, middleware, and/or hardware projects (e.g., applications, networks, communications, and client server technologies) on multiple platforms. Provides technical expertise in systems, technical infrastructure, tools, modeling, external interfaces, and other technical areas. Completes complex development, design, implementation, architecture design specification, and maintenance activities.
- Ensures the viability of IT deliverables. Recommends development options, including design, build/buy, and vendor purchase. Approves the team's technical deliverables. Conducts testing, including functionality, technical limitations, and security.
- Identifies potential solutions, including the cost/benefit of each option. Approves technical solutions proposed by team members. Elevates complex technical issues to IT experts, including architects and vendors. Resolves technical problems discovered by testers and internal clients. Responds to and resolves technical issues in a timely manner. Researches issues and performs root cause analysis.
- Communicates with project manager on a frequent basis. Identifies tasks and issues that may have an impact on service levels or schedules. Provides realistic task and cost estimates. Screens resumes of team members, interviews, makes hiring and assignment recommendations, and writes reviews.
- Maintains a current and working knowledge of IT development methodology, architecture design, and technical standards. Mentors IT staff and identifies training needs. As new standards are instituted, ensures their usage by team members.
- Communicates with other technical leads, IT groups, and clients so they understand the project's technical implications, dependencies, and potential conflicts. Evaluates the impacts of change requests on own/shared technologies and effectively persuades and influences others on ideas.
- Reviews and approves documentation and diagrams created by IT team members (e.g., system specifications). Writes documentation, including technical standards and processes.
- Identifies opportunities for continuous quality improvement of technical standards, methodologies, and technologies.
- Participates in design, code, and test inspections throughout product life cycle to identify issues. Participates as a technical consultant at other project meetings. Presents technical status and issues at milestone reviews.
- For teams without a BSA, performs this staff member's duties, including interviewing business liaisons to diagram process flows and to write functional requirements. In the absence of the project manager, performs this staff member's duties, including coordinating daily systems analysis and development activities.
- Thoroughly understands and complies with IT policies and procedures, especially those for quality and productivity standards that enable the team to meet established client service levels. Thoroughly understands and complies with Information Security policies and procedures, and verifies deliverables meet Information Security requirements.
- Participates in special projects and performs other duties as assigned.
Weekday coverage: Regularly scheduled 5-day week, Mon. - Fri., normal business hours. Remote and off hours support On call
Travel: For Charlotte, NC-based staff, limited travel to Valley Forge, PA may be required.
Vanguard is not offering visa sponsorship for this position.
Back to top