Technical Lead - Cloud Analytics
To provide expert level IT Technical Leadership, including the direction, evaluation, selection, configuration, implementation, and integration of new and existing technologies and tools.
This position is in the FAS Systems DnA team and will support development and delivery of business outcomes leveraging Big Data, Analytics, and AWS Cloud concepts and supporting technologies.
Cloud Analytics Technical Lead
role will lead our IT project team in delivering and maintaining an analytics ecosystem for use by our internal business partners. The Technical Lead will provide technical expertise and leadership in the development of a cloud-based big data platform providing data ingestion, cleansing, preparation, analysis, visualization, and reporting capabilities. The Technical Lead will also support business partners in achieving their analytics-driven goals through experimentation and subsequent operationalization of resulting insights.
The work will include:
- Collaborating with our business partners in support of developing and delivering prioritized business outcomes.
- Planning, developing, delivering, and maintaining data, analytics, visualization, and reporting solutions in an agile and incremental manner.
- Collaborating within the project team as well as across teams within IT to establish and/or evolve best practices in the AWS cloud for such things as system design, security, and performance as well as cost management.
- Supporting and/or leading the evaluation, selection, configuration, implementation, and integration of technologies and tools in the AWS cloud.
- Ongoing learning with respect to technical domains including big data, analytics, and cloud computing platforms and technologies.
- Ongoing learning with respect to business domains including financial services and, more specifically, financial advice.
- Undergraduate degree in a related field or the equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Eight years of technical experience with architecting, developing, and maintaining cloud-based solutions.
- Expert-level knowledge of cloud architecture and supporting technologies
- AWS (strongly preferred): EC2, ELB, EMR, S3, Kinesis, CloudWatch, CloudTrail, Cloud Formation Templates, etc.
- Strong foundation in and experience with big data- and analytics-related concepts, strategies, and tools.
- Big Data: Presto, Splunk, Python, Hadoop, Hive, Oozie, Yarn, Hue, Scala, Spark, SQL
- Analytics: Data Ingestion, Data Cleansing, Data Preparation/Transformation, Analytics (Prescriptive, Predictive), Analytics (Visualization), and Reporting.
- Expert-level knowledge of Java (and related) languages, scripts.
- Familiarity and experience with the Linux platform and shell scripting (eg., bash).
- Familiarity and experience with DevOps and Continuous Integration/Delivery concepts and tools such as Bitbucket, Bamboo, Ansible, Sonar, and the Atlassian tool suite
- Willingness and enthusiasm for learning and experimenting with new technologies, tools, and processes
- Strong, demonstrated analysis and problem-solving skills
- Broad knowledge of the financial services industry
- Strong written and oral communication skills, preferred
Vanguard Technical Lead Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides expert level IT technical lead services and direction for critical software, middleware, and/or hardware projects (e.g., applications, networks, communications, and client server technologies) on multiple platforms. Provides technical expertise in systems, technical infrastructure, tools, modeling, external interfaces, and other technical areas. Completes complex development, design, implementation, architecture design specification, and maintenance activities.
- Ensures the viability of IT deliverables. Recommends development options, including design, build/buy, and vendor purchase. Approves the team's technical deliverables. Conducts testing, including functionality, technical limitations, and security.
- Identifies potential solutions, including the cost/benefit of each option. Approves technical solutions proposed by team members. Elevates complex technical issues to IT experts, including architects and vendors. Resolves technical problems discovered by testers and internal clients. Responds to and resolves technical issues in a timely manner. Researches issues and performs root cause analysis.
- Communicates with project manager on a frequent basis. Identifies tasks and issues that may have an impact on service levels or schedules. Provides realistic task and cost estimates. Screens resumes of team members, interviews, makes hiring and assignment recommendations, and writes reviews.
- Maintains a current and working knowledge of IT development methodology, architecture design, and technical standards. Mentors IT staff and identifies training needs. As new standards are instituted, ensures their usage by team members.
- Communicates with other technical leads, IT groups, and clients so they understand the project's technical implications, dependencies, and potential conflicts. Evaluates the impacts of change requests on own/shared technologies and effectively persuades and influences others on ideas.
- Reviews and approves documentation and diagrams created by IT team members (e.g., system specifications). Writes documentation, including technical standards and processes.
- Identifies opportunities for continuous quality improvement of technical standards, methodologies, and technologies.
- Participates in design, code, and test inspections throughout product life cycle to identify issues. Participates as a technical consultant at other project meetings. Presents technical status and issues at milestone reviews.
- Weekday coverage: Regularly scheduled 5-day week, Mon. - Fri., normal business hours. Potential remote and off hours support, On call
- Travel: May be required on occasion
- Vanguard is not offering Visa sponsorship for this position
Meet Some of Vanguard's Employees
Brokerage Investment Professional, Malvern, PA
Claire ensures that Vanguard clients have all the important and necessary industry information in order to make the best decisions for their personal investments.
Back to top