Tax Team Leader
To supervise tax associates and administrators who are responsible for activities surrounding tax for Vanguard Brokerage Service (VBS) or Transfer Agency (TA). To ensure compliance with IRS regulations for VBS or TA including tax withholding, remittance, reporting, and auditing tax documentation, systems and procedures.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Supervises staff. Provides guidance, training and motivation as necessary to develop staff through regular one-on-ones and coaching sessions. Hires, terminates, evaluates and counsels personnel. Administers disciplinary action when appropriate. Sets performance standards, reviews performance, provides feedback, and recommends wage increases in accordance with all applicable Human Resources policies and procedures.
2. Monitors and audits functions performed by tax team associates and administrators. Ensures adequate staffing levels are in place to meet service levels and respond to shareholder inquiries. Develops and distributes meaningful management and trend reporting. Monitors the tax helpline, AWD and problem case during tax season and staff availability to respond to shareholder inquiries and complaints.
3. Maintains and develops knowledge of IRS rules and regulations and adjusts processes in response to modifications of the regulatory requirements. Ensures compliance with applicable tax regulations and stays abreast of new tax legislation and changes in tax regulations. Translates complex tax information and regulations into a format which is easy to understand for both internal and external clients in coordination with Global Tax (legal), IT and other business partners.
4. Completes and updates procedures as needed. Maintains Tax Procedures Library as well as training materials. Reviews compliance and regulatory changes with the Tax Team, Global Tax, Compliance and other applicable groups.
5. Responds to the most complicated, elevated client reporting tax issues (e.g. those involving clients who are disputing tax reporting, who have issued a complaint, and clients who are requesting revised tax forms.) Acts as the point of contact for client complaint letters.
6. Liaisons with vendors (Beta, WSC, PWC, SciVantage), the various segment groups, internal tax teams, Globall Tax, RMD Group and any other applicable Vanguard business partners.
7. Demonstrates accountability for the Tax team Dashboard. Identifies, analyzes and documents trends for issues and/or problems determines possible resolutions utilizing available resources. Maintains statistics and tracks trends of the type of client service inquiries; provides feedback to applicable areas. Identifies process improvements to increase efficiency within the department.
8. Participates in and leads special projects and perform other duties as assigned.
- Undergraduate degree or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Minimum of three years related experience with at least one year of specific tax experience.
- Working knowledge of tax policies and procedures.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong attention to detail, manage multiple tasks simultaneously and independently and strong problem resolution skills.
- Working knowledge of PCs and proficiency in MS Word and Excel.
- Demonstrated ability to make sound decisions under demanding conditions.
- Demonstrated ability to lead a group or individuals to meet and exceed expected results in accordance with departmental and organizational goals. Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work as a member of a team.
- Demonstrated ability to understand complex technical issues.
- High degree of flexibility to adjust to new/or changing conditions.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to take initiative and self motivate.
Extended hours, including weekends, are required during tax season (Oct-Apr).
Vanguard is not offering visa sponsorship for this position.
Supervises exempt and non-exempt crew.
Back to top