Systems Manager - Automation Engineering
Vanguard, one of the world’s largest investment management companies and a recognized employer of choice, seeks a Systems Manager focusing on Automation Engineering to manage a cross-functional team and provide leadership in designing, developing and implementing Information Technology solutions in support of Vanguard’s Service Oriented Infrastructure Program.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Manages staff. Provides guidance, training, and motivation, as necessary to develop staff. Hires, terminates, evaluates and counsel personnel. Sets performance standards, reviews performance, provides feedback and recommends wage increases/adjustments in accordance with all applicable Human Resources policies and procedures.
- Develops strong working relationships with internal client management. Meets with client management to negotiate head count, project budget, and major deliverables. Assists clients with writing client deliverables, such as a Project Charter or Service Delivery Agreement, and coordinates activities of other team members helping clients write client deliverables.
- Plans, develops and executes short and long range goals/strategies to meet department and corporate objectives. Also recommends solutions within established timeframes and budgetary controls.
- Anticipates current and future needs of the organization and makes recommendations regarding project scope, schedule and budget. Evaluates alternatives for modifications to systems and recommend and/or make decisions on solutions that meet long-term business objectives and current organizational requirements.
- Recommends the most appropriate system solutions in accordance with the clients long term goals and systems architectural guidelines and policies.
- Develops and implements operational plans to achieve departmental objectives.
- Manages the evaluation and selection of IT vendor products and services, including contracting and consulting resources.
- Designs, develops and maintains departmental budget. Manages expenses and ensures department operates within budgetary guidelines.
- Ensures staff complies with IT policies and procedures, especially those for quality, productivity, service levels and architecture standards that enable the team to meet established project milestones. Ensures staff complies with all IT Security and Human Resources policies and procedures.
- Manages special projects and performs other duties as assigned. Coordinates activities and interacts extensively across department lines.
The ideal candidate should possess
- Undergraduate degree in a related field or the equivalent combination of training and experience preferred
- Ten years’ software development experience including five to six years’ as a Project Manager/ Manager.
- Strong negotiation skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including interviewing and presentation skills
- Excellent analysis and problem solving skills
- Broad knowledge of the financial services industry
- Expert knowledge of the following project methodology practices and concept
- Full product life cycle
- Quality methodology
- Requirements gathering
- Resource planning
- Expert knowledge of current versions of the following products:
- Microsoft Exchange
- Microsoft Office Suite
- Working knowledge or willingness to learn:
- Amazon Web Services
The Service Oriented Infrastructure (SOI) Program is a multi-year people, process, technology program focused on transforming Vanguard’s Global Technology Operations unit into a service-centric organization. The Systems Manager – Automation Engineering role will have responsibility for all technical delivery within the program through the management of direct-line, matrixed, and third-party technical staff. Additional responsibilities include managing vendor partners, partnering with internal Vanguard client and support organizations, and managing the ServiceNow IT Service Management and IT Operations Management products in support of program objectives.
Vanguard is not offering visa sponsorship for this position.
Back to top