Subject Matter Expert - Site Reliability Engineering
- Malvern, PA
As an SME in Site Reliability Engineering in PAS (Personal Advisor Services) you will have the opportunity to put your operational savvy-ness and engineering skills to work! On the job you'll be partnering with PAS Teams ensuring the "-ilities" (Availability, Reliability, Scalability, Usability; etc.) of PAS systems in both test and production environments. Additionally, you can anticipate working with real-time monitoring , diagnostic data and analyze trends. As a caretaker of these systems you'll be collaborating and planning activities with PAS Technical Leads to ensure that application service level objectives are met.
The goal of this position is to lead and guide all the Personal Advisor Services teams to do the things listed below.
- Continually improving the monitoring, alerting, and automation to increase environments reliability, availability, performance, and overall system health.
- Champion the best Monitoring setup/Control reporting, Create/Update Procedures for Enterprise wide adoption
- Employ Analytics & Define/Report Trends
- Canary, Smoke Test and Manage Chaos Injection
- Experiment, recommend new tools where needed
- Identify process gaps and implement process improvements to increase operational efficiency.
- Work with different groups to develop and improve monitors for products and infrastructure.
- Collaborate and lead both within the team and across the organization.
- Work with operations / Cloud Ops teams to ensure applications and services are highly available and reliable.
- Modernizing the environments tools and technologies to support the IT strategic goals of continuous delivery and cloud migration.
- Automating and implementing the build and maintenance of the environments for applications.
- Bachelor's Degree preferred or equivalent technical experience
- An understanding and practical experience with containerization frameworks (Pivotal Cloud Foundry, ECS/Fargate, Heroku, Kubernetes, Docker)
- Experience with Atlassian suite (Jira, Bitbucket, Bamboo, Confluence), Git, Maven, Jenkins, Selenium, Nexus, Artifactory
- Strong background in Java Development
- You have been a part of or led agile development teams
- Worked with Concourse, Jenkins, and/or Bamboo CI/CD pipelines
- Understanding of monitoring/telemetry solutions (Splunk, ELK, AppDynamics, etc...) data ingestion and analysis
- Knowledge of Linux/Unix systems
- Passion for problem solving and strategic thinking and a desire to own and execute
- Experience with dealing with production issues
- Understanding and application of at least one scripting language (Shell, PHP, Python, etc) in pursuit of automation
- Experience with configuration automation (Chef, Ansible, Puppet)
- Experience implementing and maintaining distributed applications and systems (Microservices, 12-factor app)
- A flexible schedule - some activities you'll be performing may require off-hours or weekend support
- Experience configuring (or administering) application or infrastructure monitoring tools
- Development experience in scripting/query languages
- Experience with dashboarding tools
1. Weekday coverage: Regularly scheduled 5-day week, Mon. - Fri., normal business hours.
2. Remote and off hours support: See additional information for the specific requirements for this posting.
3. On call: See additional information for the specific requirements for this posting.
4. Travel: For Charlotte, NC-based staff, limited travel to Valley Forge, PA is required for new employee orientation, project kickoff meetings, and training.
1. Works on multiple, medium size projects or one large project with timelines of 6 - 15 months
2. Works on dissimilar technologies (e.g., applications), for multiple platforms and business areas, for critical systems with the largest numbers of interfaces and users
Vanguard is not offering visa sponsorship for this position.
We are Vanguard. Together, we're changing the way the world invests.
For us, investing doesn't just end in value. It starts with values. Because when you invest with courage, when you invest with clarity, and when you invest with care, you can get so much more in return. We invest with purpose - and that's how we've become a global market leader. Here, we grow by doing the right thing for the people we serve. And so can you.
We want to make success accessible to everyone. This is our opportunity. Let's make it count.
Vanguard's continued commitment to diversity and inclusion is firmly rooted in our culture. Every decision we make to best serve our clients, crew (internally employees are referred to as crew), and communities is guided by one simple statement: "Do the right thing."
We believe that a critical aspect of doing the right thing requires building diverse, inclusive, and highly effective teams of individuals who are as unique as the clients they serve. We empower our crew to contribute their distinct strengths to achieving Vanguard's core purpose through our values.
When all crew members feel valued and included, our ability to collaborate and innovate is amplified, and we are united in delivering on Vanguard's core purpose.
Our core purpose: To take a stand for all investors, to treat them fairly, and to give them the best chance for investment success.
Back to top