Subject Matter Expert - Site Reliability Engineering
- Malvern, PA
The goal of this position is to lead and guide all the Personal Advisor Services teams to do the things listed below.
- Continually improving the monitoring, alerting, and automation to increase environments reliability, availability, performance, and overall system health.
- Champion the best Monitoring setup/Control reporting, Create/Update Procedures for Enterprise wide adoption
- Employ Analytics & Define/Report Trends
- Canary, Smoke Test and Manage Chaos Injection
- Experiment, recommend new tools where needed
- Identify process gaps and implement process improvements to increase operational efficiency.
- Work with different groups to develop and improve monitors for products and infrastructure.
- Collaborate and lead both within the team and across the organization.
- Work with operations / Cloud Ops teams to ensure applications and services are highly available and reliable.
- Modernizing the environments tools and technologies to support the IT strategic goals of continuous delivery and cloud migration.
- Automating and implementing the build and maintenance of the environments for applications.
- Knowledge of Linux systems and cloud platforms/providers
- Strong Troubleshooting Skillset
- Scripting experience
- Hands on experience with the following tools: Splunk, App Dynamics & Other Monitoring Tools
- Experience with Atlassian suite (Jira, Bitbucket, Bamboo, Confluence), Git, Maven, Jenkins, Selenium, Nexus, Artifactory
- Understanding of key monitoring concepts (4 Golden Signals, RED, USE)
- Java Development experience preferred
- Experience configuring (or administering) application or infrastructure monitoring tools
- Development experience in scripting/query languages
- Experience with dashboarding tools
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Provides expert level IT technical lead services and direction for critical software, middleware, and/or hardware projects (e.g., applications, networks, communications, and client server technologies) on multiple platforms. Provides technical expertise in systems, technical infrastructure, tools, modeling, external interfaces, and other technical areas. Completes complex development, design, implementation, architecture design specification, and maintenance activities.
2. Ensures the viability of IT deliverables. Recommends development options, including design, build/buy, and vendor purchase. Approves the team's technical deliverables. Conducts testing, including functionality, technical limitations, and security.
3. Identifies potential solutions, including the cost/benefit of each option. Approves technical solutions proposed by team members. Elevates complex technical issues to IT experts, including architects and vendors. Resolves technical problems discovered by testers and internal clients. Responds to and resolves technical issues in a timely manner. Researches issues and performs root cause analysis.
4. Communicates with project manager on a frequent basis. Identifies tasks and issues that may have an impact on service levels or schedules. Provides realistic task and cost estimates. Screens resumes of team members, interviews, makes hiring and assignment recommendations, and writes reviews.
5. Maintains a current and working knowledge of IT development methodology, architecture design, and technical standards. Mentors IT staff and identifies training needs. As new standards are instituted, ensures their usage by team members. A Technical Lead II should be able to perform as a Developer III.
6. Communicates with other technical leads, IT groups, and clients so they understand the project's technical implications, dependencies, and potential conflicts. Evaluates the impacts of change requests on own/shared technologies and effectively persuades and influences others on ideas.
7. Reviews and approves documentation and diagrams created by IT team members (e.g., system specifications). Writes documentation, including technical standards and processes.
8. Identifies opportunities for continuous quality improvement of technical standards, methodologies, and technologies.
9. Participates in design, code, and test inspections throughout product life cycle to identify issues. Participates as a technical consultant at other project meetings. Presents technical status and issues at milestone reviews.
10. For teams without a BSA, performs this staff member's duties, including interviewing business liaisons to diagram process flows and to write functional requirements. In the absence of the project manager, performs this staff member's duties, including coordinating daily systems analysis and development activities.
11. Thoroughly understands and complies with IT policies and procedures, especially those for quality and productivity standards that enable the team to meet established client service levels. Thoroughly understands and complies with Information Security policies and procedures, and verifies deliverables meet Information Security requirements.
12. Participates in special projects and performs other duties as assigned.
1. Undergraduate degree in a related field or the equivalent combination of training and experience
2. Eight years experience in technical specialty. For development technical leads, includes three years' developer experience.
3. Strong, demonstrated analysis and problem solving skills
4. Broad knowledge of the financial services industry
5. Expert knowledge of the following technical lead practices and concepts:
- Full product life cycle
- IT vendor product assessment
- Architecture design
- Wide range of technologies within technical specialty - from state of the art to legacy systems
- Performance and stress testing
- Quality assurance methodology and Inspections
- Technical standards and deliverables
- Migration and integration
- Estimating, including design, development/purchase, and installation
- For development only: Production acceptance (including elevations), data modeling, data sharing, reusable components, and related advanced development practices
- See Comments section for the requirements for this posting
- See additional information for the specific requirements for this posting.
9. For development only: Expert knowledge of one or more testing tools, performance tools, and scripting languages, preferred:
- See additional information for the specific requirements for this posting.
1. Weekday coverage: Regularly scheduled 5-day week, Mon. - Fri., normal business hours.
2. Remote and off hours support: See additional information for the specific requirements for this posting.
3. On call: See additional information for the specific requirements for this posting.
4. Travel: For Charlotte, NC-based staff, limited travel to Valley Forge, PA is required for new employee orientation, project kickoff meetings, and training.
1. Works on multiple, medium size projects or one large project with timelines of 6 - 15 months
2. Works on dissimilar technologies (e.g., applications), for multiple platforms and business areas, for critical systems with the largest numbers of interfaces and users
Vanguard is not offering visa sponsorship for this position.
We are Vanguard. Together, we're changing the way the world invests.
For us, investing doesn't just end in value. It starts with values. Because when you invest with courage, when you invest with clarity, and when you invest with care, you can get so much more in return. We invest with purpose - and that's how we've become a global market leader. Here, we grow by doing the right thing for the people we serve. And so can you.
We want to make success accessible to everyone. This is our opportunity. Let's make it count.
Vanguard's continued commitment to diversity and inclusion is firmly rooted in our culture. Every decision we make to best serve our clients, crew (internally employees are referred to as crew), and communities is guided by one simple statement: "Do the right thing."
We believe that a critical aspect of doing the right thing requires building diverse, inclusive, and highly effective teams of individuals who are as unique as the clients they serve. We empower our crew to contribute their distinct strengths to achieving Vanguard's core purpose through our values.
When all crew members feel valued and included, our ability to collaborate and innovate is amplified, and we are united in delivering on Vanguard's core purpose.
Our core purpose: To take a stand for all investors, to treat them fairly, and to give them the best chance for investment success.
Back to top