Vanguard, one of the world’s largest investment management companies and a recognized employer of choice, seeks a Staff Accountant to maintain accurate financial information in accordance with US and International Accounting Standards used for external financial regulatory reporting, tax reporting, and internal evaluation of business performance, capital investments, and fund expense management. To understand and maintain effective internal controls.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Executes the full range of monthly accounting close activities for assigned functional areas, including review, analysis, and measuring of economic activities, ensuring the proper recording of financial activities according to US and international accounting and reporting standards, statutory reporting requirements, and Corporate policies. Prepares monthly general ledger account reconciliations and reviews, approves, and posts journal entries.
2. Analyzes domestic and international business operations, trends, costs, revenues, financial commitments, and obligations to ensure accurate recording of financial position. Assists in the preparation and communication of monthly financial results to Accounting Operations management (US and International).
3. Identifies issues independently. Works with internal business contacts to research issues, develop recommendations, and resolve routine issues.
4. Assists in recommendations, design, and implementation of internal control procedures that ensure proper recording and reporting of financial position and prevent significant errors in accounting records and process changes to improve accuracy, consistency and efficiency improvements. Documents all modifications and communicate to manager and appropriate internal clients.
5. Provides support for quarterly financial statements and annual external audit. Prepares all assigned responsibilities by the dates required.
6. Provides accounting support to internal business contacts
7. Develops and maintains a working knowledge of legal and accounting relationships between the parent and its subsidiaries, relationships and agreements between subsidiaries, and relationships and agreements between the parent and its affiliates; and other areas in Corporate Financial Services (e.g. financial reporting, accounts payable, procurement, payroll, billing and receivables, treasury, tax, and financial service teams). Develops and maintains an understanding of external financial reporting and disclosure requirements to ensure proper recording of business activities in accordance with these requirements.
8. Works with internal business contacts to optimize efficiency of corporate accounting processes.
9. Participates in special projects and performs other duties as assigned.
- Undergraduate degree (in accounting or finance preferred) or equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Minimum of two years general experience and one year related financial accounting experience.
- Working knowledge of GAAP, internal controls, general ledger account analysis and reconciliation.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Accounting software and spreadsheet software experience, PeopleSoft is a plus.
Note: Vanguard is not offering visa sponsorship for this position. Additionally, employment is contingent on a successful drug-screening result
Meet Some of Vanguard's Employees
RFP Specialist, CFP®
Megan is part of Vanguard’s Institutional Sales Group. She ensures that each and every information request is processed before being returned to a prospective client.
Back to top