Sr. Infrastructure Operations Specialist
To provide senior level Tier 2 operational services, including troubleshooting, diagnosing, and resolving complex hardware and/or software issues elevated from the Support Center and Technical Services groups.
Duties and Responsibilities
Provides senior level Tier 2 operational services, including troubleshooting, diagnosing, and resolving complex hardware and/or software issues and outages elevated from the Support Center and Technical Services groups. Maintains and troubleshoots hardware and/or software systems (e.g., applications, proxy servers, and fire walls) on multiple platforms.
Trains and mentors staff and Tier 1 staff on processes and releases. Troubleshoots and resolves complex issues elevated from staff. Assesses IT risks, dependencies, and conflicts.
Monitors and resolves automated system alerts and alarms that indicate system functions were not completed within established service levels. Recommends automated monitoring enhancements.
Coordinates resolution activities with IT groups across systems and platforms (e.g., availability team), so they occur in sync. Communicates issue status.
Troubleshoots, configures, and tunes systems. Installs software, patches, upgrades, applications, and/or hardware. Tests and evaluates IT vendor products. Reviews IT vendor literature to identify product deficiencies, work arounds, and scheduled patches and updates.
Writes documentation, including policies and procedures. Creates graphics, including IT problem notification flows. Administers the Tier 2 documentation repository. Adds, updates, and closes records in the IT Problem Management and Change Management databases. Reviews related records to identify requests that may have an impact on systems.
Answers the Tier 2 hot line and resolves complex issues. Reviews shift logs and turnover reports
Administers system activities (e.g., internet availability). Identifies performance issues and trends. Identifies opportunities to improve system and application performance, including automating manual system tasks. Participates in change management and related meetings to identify systems issues. Presents project initiatives and metrics. Creates ad hoc reports of significant system trends, including problem occurrences and responses.
Thoroughly understands and complies with IT policies and procedures, especially those for quality and productivity standards that enable the team to meet established client service levels. Thoroughly understands and complies with Information Security policies and procedures.
- Participates in special projects and performs other related duties as assigned.
- Undergraduate degree in a related field or the equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Minimum five years Tier 1 or 2 experience in technical specialty.
- Strong written and oral communication skills, including presentation skills and negotiation skills.
- Strong analysis and problem solving skills.
- Advanced knowledge of the following Tier 2 practices and concepts: printing systems, system utilities, software installation and configuration, IT service level agreements, full product life cycle, networks, technical standards and deliverables, troubleshooting techniques, log files, network protocols (e.g., TCP IP, DLC, and ASYNC).
- Advanced knowledge of multiple IT platforms: AS/400, Client/server, IBM mainframe, Microsoft Windows NT, OS/390, UNIX.
- Advanced knowledge of current versions of the following products: Lotus Notes, Microsoft Office Suite, Netview, Tivoli Product Suite, Visio, Patrol.
- Certifications - Holds one of the following certificates or has the ability to attain within 12 months of hire date: Web preferred, UNIX preferred, PC/LTS strongly recommended.
Operations are 24 x 7. See additional information for the specific requirements for this posting.
Vanguard is not offering visa sponsorship for this position.
Meet Some of Vanguard's Employees
Shelley produces creative recruitment marketing campaigns in order to share Vanguard’s brand, mission, events and culture with new talent in the industry.
Back to top