Sr. Data Engineer
Job Profile Summary
To provide expert level technical lead and data services. To create data solutions for complex business problems and strategic questions. Provides direction, evaluation, selection, configuration, implementation, and integration of new and existing technologies and tools for data analysis, model development and other advanced analytics needs.
Duties and Responsibilities
Creates sophisticated data solutions to business problems for advanced analytics. Partner with the Advanced Analytics team to collect, parse, transform, manage very large scale datasets to generate insights. Develop sustainable data solutions to enable analytics and implementation of insights.
Identifies potential data solutions, translates data solutions into design specifications and code. Responsible for writing complex programs, ad hoc queries, and reports using team procedures and tool selection guidelines. Ensures that all code is developed in a well structured manner - includes sufficient documentation - and is easy to maintain and reuse. Uses latest technologies to manage expanding external / internal, structured / unstructured data sources.
Elevates complex technical issues to IT partners, including architects and vendors. Resolves technical problems discovered by testers and internal clients. Responds to and resolves technical issues in a timely manner. Researches issues and performs root cause analysis.
Understands how to apply technologies to solve big data challenges to support analytics needs. Develops and applies extensive knowledge in different programming languages and databases, stays abreast with latest industry / technology development for data solutions.
Develops deep expertise on Vanguard's data environment, new data sources, big data technology and solutions and industry trends. Partners with internal clients to enhance understanding of business functions and informational needs.
Partners closely with other technical leads, including advanced analytics teams, marketing technology group, IT, and business clients to develop and implement appropriate data solutions for business problems and their implications. Evaluates the impacts of solutions on own/shared technologies and effectively persuades and influences others on ideas.
Participates in design, code, and test inspections throughout product life cycle for data solutions. Participates as a technical consultant at other project meetings.
Understands and enforces team development guidelines. Mentors and develops staff with less experience. Helps the team to resolve issues and conflict. Designs and conducts training sessions on tools and data sources used by the team and self provisioners. Provides supporting documentation to team members and business partners as needed.
Understands, complies with and enforces team policies and procedures, especially those for quality and productivity standards that enable the team to meet established milestones. Understands, complies with and enforces all Information Security policies and procedures, and verifies deliverables meet Information Security requirements. Abides by Risk Controls as defined in the team CAF Documentation.
- Participates in special projects and performs other duties as assigned.
- Undergraduate degree in a related field or the equivalent combination of training and experience
- Master degree in software engineering / computer science desired
- Eight years' experience in technical specialty. Three years of developer experience preferred.
- Strong, demonstrated analysis and problem solving skills; strong project management skills
- Strong skills in communications, working in a team based environment
- Expert knowledge of the following technical lead practices and concepts:
- Wide range of technologies within technical specialty - from state of the art to legacy systems
- Hadoop and Hadoop based technologies, DB2, Java, Linux, Python, R, C++, SQL, NoSQL
- Performance and stress testing
- Quality assurance methodology and inspections
- Technical standards and deliverables
- Migration and integration
- Production acceptance (including elevations), data modeling, data sharing, reusable components, and related advanced development practices
Vanguard is not offering visa sponsorship for this position.
Meet Some of Vanguard's Employees
Shelley produces creative recruitment marketing campaigns in order to share Vanguard’s brand, mission, events and culture with new talent in the industry.
Back to top