Sr. Data Engineer
As a client-focused company, we take pride in having helped millions of clients accomplish their financial goals. Vanguard crew are driven to inspire, inform, and educate clients so they can cut through market noise and make the best choice for investment success. We are currently seeking a Sr. Data Engineer with the professional skills to help Vanguard continue on our quest to change the way the world invests.The Sr. Data Engineer will provide expert level design instruction and technical leadership to team members for all data extraction, integration and synthesis efforts. They will analyze data and informational requirements and provide the best reporting solutions to internal Vanguard clients for the most complex requests. They will also manage the process for report/analysis solution delivery.
- To monitor and improve the overall quality of the work produced by the Business Reporting Team. Communicates with technical leads, IT and/or Business groups, and clients so they understand the project’s technical implications, dependencies, and potential conflicts. Evaluates the impacts of change requests on timing and deliverables.
- To set and lead the technical direction for Business Intelligence (BI) at Vanguard. To provide technical solutions to data and tool issues experienced by the Business Reporting Team, the rest of Client Insight (CI) and the self-provisioning community.
- To develop extensive knowledge of the tools and data sources standards used by the Business Reporting Team and business requestors. Provides documentation, including technical standards and processes. Reviews and approves documentation and diagrams created by IT team members (e.g., system specifications).
- Ensures the viability of IT deliverables with focus on efficiently and effectively completing all Business Reporting Requests. Recommends development options to the broader team and approves the team’s deliverables. Conducts appropriate testing, including functionality, technical limitations, and security where applicable.
- Provides expert level technical direction for critical software, middleware, and/or hardware projects on multiple platforms. Provides technical expertise in systems, technical infrastructure, tools, modeling, external interfaces, and other technical areas. Completes complex development, design, implementation, architecture design specification, and maintenance activities.
- Maintains current knowledge of BI methodology, architecture design, and technical standards. To support the business community and team by providing subject matter expertise, guidance and training. Mentors IT staff and identifies training needs. As new standards are instituted, ensures their usage by team members.
- To further the objectives of the Business Reporting Team, the department and Vanguard as a whole. Identifies potential solutions, including the cost/benefit of each option. Elevates the most complex technical issues to IT experts, including architects and vendors. Resolves technical problems discovered by testers and internal clients. Responds to and resolves technical issues in a timely manner. Researches issues and performs root cause analysis.
- Thoroughly understands and complies with policies and procedures, especially those for quality and productivity standards that enable the team to meet established client service levels. Thoroughly understands and complies with Information Security policies and procedures, and verifies deliverables meet Information Security requirements.
- Participates in special projects and performs other duties as assigned.
- Undergraduate degree in related field or the equivalent combination of training and experience, with graduate degree, preferred.
- Eight years of software development, data analysis/mining or DBA experience.
- Strong negotiation skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including interviewing and presentation skills.
- Excellent analysis and problem solving skills.
- Broad knowledge of the financial services industry.
- Advanced knowledge of one or more of the following: COGNOS Report Studio, Analysis Studio, Framework manager and Transformer, SAS, FOCUS, SQL, EasyTrieve, WEB Trends, Tea Leaf, EXCEL and MS Access.
- Extensive experience using one or more of the following data sources: Enterprise, Data Warehouse.
- Extensive experience mining both unstructured data and structured data using Relational or Dimensional Models.
- Expert knowledge of multiple IT platforms: AS/400, Client/server, IBM mainframe, Microsoft Windows NT, OS/390, UNIX.
- Expert knowledge of current versions of the following products: Lotus Notes and Microsoft Office Suite.
- Experience with Oracle, DB2, Sequel Server, Hadoop and Federation technologies preferred.
Vanguard is not offering visa sponsorship for this position.
Back to top