Software Engineering Manager
Not your typical Systems Manager job...
We are looking for a Senior Engineering Manager to drive the Full Stack Development practice within the Client Experience pillar. What does this entail? Your main task is to make sure your team members are happy. It is your responsibility to help your team members with their development, both hard skills as well as soft ones. Help them exploit their strengths and handle their weaknesses. Ensuring they are properly equipped to perform the job the best they can.
But wait, there's more, expertise is paramount. This is not a generic people management job, you're expected, over time, to become an expert in Full Stack Engineering, and be able to translate industry developments, along with your peers, into strategy that your Full Stack Engineers will leverage on their Journey Teams. Further, you'll be expected, on a regular basis, to pull stories from a Journey Team's backlog and implement them, in order to keep your technical skills sharp. And if that's not enough, you'll need to balance your technical strategies against the Journey Teams number one priority, which is delivering value.
Duties and Responsibilities
This staff member completes the following activities under minimal direction:
- Manages staff. Develops, mentors and provides guidance, training and motivation as necessary. Conducts regular one on one and staff meetings. Hires, evaluates and counsels crew. Follows corporate disciplinary procedures per established Vanguard standards as required. Sets performance standards, reviews performance, provides feedback, and recommends wage increases in accordance with all applicable Human Resources policies and procedures.
- Works with resource/department manager to ensure adequate resources are in place. Maintains appropriate staff to contractor ratios. Ensures team submits time sheets and status reports. Monitors completion of each person's deliverables (e.g., business system analyst, functional requirements). Mentors and develops technical crew at lower grade levels.
- Provides expert level IT technical lead services and direction for critical software, middleware, and/or hardware projects (e.g., applications, networks, communications, and client server technologies) on multiple platforms. Provides technical expertise in systems, technical infrastructure, tools, modeling, external interfaces, and other technical areas. Completes complex development, design, implementation, architecture design specification, and maintenance activities.
- Ensures the viability of IT deliverables. Recommends development options, including design, build/buy, and vendor purchase. Approves the team's technical deliverables. Conducts testing, including functionality, technical limitations, and security.
- Identifies potential solutions, including the cost/benefit of each option. Approves technical solutions proposed by team members. Elevates complex technical issues to IT experts, including architects and vendors. Resolves technical problems discovered by testers and internal clients. Responds to and resolves technical issues in a timely manner. Researches issues and performs root cause analysis.
- Communicates with project manager on a frequent basis. Provides realistic task and cost estimates.
- Maintains current knowledge of IT development methodology, architecture design, and technical standards. Mentors IT staff and identifies training needs. As new standards are instituted, ensures their usage by team members.
- Communicates with other technical leads, IT groups, and clients so they understand the project's technical implications, dependencies, and potential conflicts. Evaluates the impacts of change requests on own/shared technologies and effectively persuades and influences others on ideas.
- Reviews and approves documentation and diagrams created by IT team members (e.g., system specifications). Writes documentation, including technical standards and processes.
- Identifies opportunities for continuous quality improvement of technical standards, methodologies, and technologies.
- Participates in design, code, and test inspections throughout product life cycle to identify issues. Participates as a technical consultant at other project meetings. Presents technical status and issues at milestone reviews.
- For teams without a BSA, performs this staff member's duties, including interviewing business liaisons to diagram process flows and to write functional requirements. In the absence of the project manager, performs this staff member's duties, including coordinating daily systems analysis and development activities.
- Thoroughly understands and complies with IT policies and procedures, especially those for quality and productivity standards that enable the team to meet established client service levels. Thoroughly understands and complies with Information Security policies and procedures, and verifies deliverables meet Information Security requirements.
- Participates in special projects and performs other duties as assigned.
- Our Full Stack Engineers are getting better at what they do every day.
- Engineer X is solving problems with the same tools, approaches and methodologies as engineer Y.
- Our Full Stack Engineers are staying current with industry's progress and best practices.
- We're managing the shortcuts, i.e. technical debt, we take.
- Undergraduate degree in a related field or the equivalent combination of training and experience
- Five years experience in technical specialty. For development technical leads, includes three years' developer experience.
- Two to three years demonstrated leadership experience preferred.
- Strong, demonstrated analysis and problem solving skills
- Broad knowledge of the financial services industry preferred
Vanguard is not offering visa sponsorship for this position
Back to top