Site Reliability & Security Technical Lead
Build the products that are changing an industry
At Vanguard, we never stop working to make investing simpler and more successful for our clients. By promoting new ways of building software, you'll optimize products and keep our client experience improving at pace. Your work as a Java / DevOps Engineer will not only give you true ownership of your products as you capitalize on a Lean Agile approach. It will impact the way the world invests. Are you ready to make it count?
In this role you will
- We want you to manage a team (being newly formed) in supporting site reliability for both test and production environments for Retail SI by using technologies (i.e. AppDynamics, Splunk) to evaluate and monitor overall Retail applications health and stability, designing and implementing standards (monitoring critical metrics), embracing monitoring techniques and standards for AWS, training IT product teams on monitoring tools and techniques, evaluating monitoring signal anomalies, and leading log pollution elimination and enforcement
- We require you to enable the success of new TCS managed services team and SREs/developers in responding to major production incidents that affect Retail SI, partnering with the Major Incident Management Team, engaging necessary support groups, and supporting mean time to recover
- We want you to work closely with the Retail SI division head, department head, and direct manager on incident reduction and mean time to recover/repair agenda and initiatives
- We need you to serve as the IT product owner for the logon and registration capabilities for Vanguard's Personal Investors website. Lead improvements, defects, code quality, consultations, production support and monitoring of the legacy applications while rewriting them to NGA/cloud based applications/services
- We will look for you to administer technical leadership and mentorship on Global Technology Operations, Chief Technology Office, and Security Services Group-led IT projects that impact Retail systems and applications (i.e. infrastructure/systems upgrades and migrations)
Bring invention to investing
You'll continuously deliver imaginative solutions that also satisfy business needs. Your fresh ideas will directly impact one of our strategic focus areas and help us redefine the world of mutual funds. Your analytical approach to problem-solving, underpinned by strong interpersonal skills, will make you a valuable member of a reciprocal team that shares ideas and solves problems in new ways. And at every stage of the process you'll enjoy many opportunities to deepen your knowledge and widen your experience.
What it takes
- Undergraduate degree in a related field or the equivalent combination of training and experience
- 5 plus years of experience in technical specialty. For development technical leads, includes two years' developer experience.
- Strong proven analysis and analytical skills
- Expertise knowledge of the financial services industry
- Outstanding technical management and mentoring skills
- Strong track record of developing self and others
Specializations that'll make an impact
- Extensive experience with and a real passion for Agile (Scrum, Kanban, SAFe), Lean, Extreme Programming (XP)
- Desired technologies: Angular JS, Pivotal Cloud Foundry, REST-based web services, Linux, AWS
- Working knowledge in site reliability engineering (SRE) concepts and monitoring tools (Splunk, AppDynamics)
- We want consistent delivery of strong business results with alignment to organizational goals
- We depend on you to be comfortable and effective in influencing/persuading senior management and large audiences
- We covet you to manage complexities, large scope initiatives, conflicting priorities, ambiguity well
- We desire your willingness and availability to support off hours (nights/weekends) as needed
We are Vanguard. Together, we're changing the way the world invests.
For us, investing doesn't just end in value. It starts with values. Because when you invest with courage, when you invest with clarity, and when you invest with care, you can get so much more in return. We invest with purpose - and that's how we've become a global market leader. Here, we grow by doing the right thing for the people we serve. And so can you.
We want to make success accessible to everyone. This is our opportunity. Let's make it count.
Vanguard's continued commitment to diversity and inclusion is firmly rooted in our culture. Every decision we make to best serve our clients, crew (internally employees are referred to as crew), and communities is guided by one simple statement: "Do the right thing."
We believe that a critical aspect of doing the right thing requires building diverse, inclusive, and highly effective teams of individuals who are as unique as the clients they serve. We empower our crew to contribute their distinct strengths to achieving Vanguard's core purpose through our values.
When all crew members feel valued and included, our ability to collaborate and innovate is amplified, and we are united in delivering on Vanguard's core purpose.
Our core purpose: To take a stand for all investors, to treat them fairly, and to give them the best chance for investment success.
Back to top