Senior Public Relations Specialist
As a client-centric company, Vanguard wants the investor experience to instill trust and assurance that they made the right choice in a provider. We sustain the highest level of credibility to uphold Vanguard's reputation of candor, honesty, and fair dealing. We are currently seeking a Senior Public Relations Specialist to protect and enhance Vanguard's image and reputation around the globe.
As a Senior PR Specialist you'll serve as one of Vanguard's spokespersons - working with media and social media to release appropriate details in response to breaking news, changes in the markets or legislation, or just general questions. You'll reinforce Vanguard's role as a thought leader, rewarding employer, and most importantly, caretaker of our clients' investments.
In partnership with the Public Relations Manager, you'll prepare Public Relations plans, coverage and activity reports, as well as internal and external presentations. There will also be opportunities to guide both Public Relations and other departments on their content development.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responds promptly to daily inquiries from the news media - including wire services, blogger, financial websites, newspapers, and personal finance/business publications - and acts as an accessible, responsive, credible, quotable, and resourceful spokesperson. Handles incoming calls in a timely manner (on pick-up or within one hour) and provides clear, candid, and accurate statements and/or background information to the media. Employs persuasion and influence skills effectively to 1) maintain Vanguard's image and reputation among media and shareholders; 2) promote Vanguard funds and services; 2) advance Vanguard's identified business and communications goals.
- Develops and strengthens working relationships with members of the news media, as well as identifies and cultivates new press contacts. Maintains regular contact with members of the news media via phone, e-mail, mailings, and face-to-face encounters and visits. Plans and researches story ideas to proactively pitch to media representatives. Arranges interviews with executives, ambassadors, and portfolio managers, and fully and properly prepares Vanguard's ambassadors and media member for press engagements.
- Develops and maintains effective, strong, collaborative relationships with team members, internal business clients, investment management personnel, marketing personnel, ambassadors, members of senior staff, as well as external advisors, vendors, and clients, in order to develop, plan, and execute media activities.
- Interacts on a regular basis with business clients, marketing partners, and senior staff to understand strategy, priorities, and positioning. Develops specific plans to obtain positive media coverage of broad corporate priorities or specific business and marketing initiatives.
- Provides sound and reasoned counsel to management and business clients on public perception and business issues. Identifies media issues and develops strategies and tactics for obtaining positive media coverage and mitigating adverse publicity.
- Keeps abreast of industry trends, market activity, and regulatory changes and develops appropriate responses and materials in response.
- Researches and prepares press releases and other press materials, including statements, Q&As, backgrounders, pitches, fact sheets, press kits, bylined articles, and other materials that are highly professional, effective, creative, and accurate.
- Participates in special projects and performs other duties as assigned.
The Ideal Candidate Should Possess:
- Undergraduate degree or equivalent experience required. Degree in journalism, communication or PR preferred. Graduate degree in communications or business preferred.
- Minimum five years general experience and five years industry/technology. 7-10 years of PR experience in the mutual fund or related industry preferred.
- Strong interpersonal skills and professional demeanor.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work effectively and independently on multiple projects.
- Demonstrated ability to explain complex subject matter in plain English.
- Knowledge of financial services industry, particularly mutual fund investing and financial markets.
- Demonstrated organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to work with various departments and levels of management including senior executives.
- Ability to write quickly and meet deadlines.
- Willingness to \"cover\" corporate events outside usual business hours.
Ability to work special hours and be on call 24 by 7.
Limited travel from time to time.
Back to top