Senior Marketing Manager – Education Savings Marketing
Work to help America’s families save for college by joining a global leader in investment management!
Vanguard’s Education Savings Group combines 40 years of industry leadership with extensive 529 plan experience & expertise. With $64 billion in 529 plan assets under management, Vanguard is the largest direct-sold 529 plan investment provider.
As a senior team member of Vanguard’s Educations Savings Marketing Team, you will build relationships both internally and externally while leading program-level marketing initiatives and advocating for Vanguard’s internal business partners, external state partners, marketing teammates, and the end 529 college savings plan user/investor. This role is part relationship management, part marketing strategist, and part informal leader to junior crew. The right candidate must demonstrate exceptional leadership impact and strategic thinking, stellar relationship management skills, as well as a track record for delivering solid business results in a fast paced, complex environment.
- Puts the client first, at all times.
- Creates marketing plans by translating business objectives into defined marketing objectives, strategies and tactics and develops clear requirements to ensure that project teams and agency resources receive accurate direction. Identifies and analyzes varied sources of data and information to inform planning decisions. Partners with internal and external partners to deliver large and complex marketing initiatives that are aligned to major corporate and/or state-driven initiatives.
- Leads in problem solving, critical thinking, communication, and marketing strategy. Understands and communicates the risks and impacts of proposed marketing strategies and how they impact our clients, our institutional business partners, our crew and our company. Applies productive questioning skills to understand business goals and assesses information to uncover ways to deliver effective and efficient solutions to major business challenges. Anticipates problems and takes action to keep projects on track.
- Ensures that internal and external business partners and marketing teammates understand all aspects of marketing plans. Updates business partners and senior management throughout the planning and development life cycle of major initiatives and partners with project managers to communicate updates within marketing. Regularly prepares and delivers formal presentations to external clients and partners to keep them informed about marketing plans and provides program results. Represents Vanguard and the client at public events.
- Serves as an advocate for our external business partners, internal clients, and end product users, balancing the relationship among all parties. Integrates the work of internal creative resources, external advertising and public relations resources. Ensures that the right solution is developed for our partners and manages the prioritization of projects and resources to achieve desired results. Manages external relationships and maintains relationships with marketing peers in other divisions to facilitate knowledge sharing and to serve as a marketing leader and expert for the company.
- Presents alternate solutions when challenged with obstacles. Understands how to approach problems from different angles and presents alternate solutions when challenged with obstacles. Works effectively with different teams or different approaches to achieve desired results.
- Provides oversight of sizable marketing budgets. Develops annual budgets, forecasts monthly spending, administers the procurement of media and services and reconciles budgets against actual expenses. Negotiates with vendors to obtain optimal pricing for media or other production services.
- Serves as a leader for Retail Marketing, and represents the Retail Marketing department to our business partners and corporate leaders. Takes the initiative to maintain an active and visible presence within Vanguard RIG and develops strong relationships with senior management. Models unquestionable ethics and integrity, energizes, inspires, and coaches others, represents Vanguard well both internally and externally. Leads change within both marketing and across the corporation. Builds consensus for our business partners’ objectives and our marketing plans.
- Demonstrates strong knowledge of our business, clients and competitors and effectively applies this knowledge to enhance planning effectiveness. Maintains strong relationships with partners in Client Insight (CI), and expert knowledge of available resources. Serves as a recognized expert in both Marketing and Retail investing.
- Participates in other projects and performs other duties as assigned.
- Undergraduate degree or equivalent experience is required. Graduate degree preferred.
- Minimum of 5 years of general experience, including marketing experience in the financial services, banking or related industries; and/or experience working with state-sponsored offices and/or elected officials
- Marketing or business strategy experience strongly preferred
- Strong critical, strategic, and analytical thinking skills.
- Ability to work across multiple functions.
- Ability to present effectively to senior leadership.
- Ability to work well under deadline pressure.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to work well with a team.
- Moderate travel is required (10-20%)
- Vanguard is not offering visa sponsorship for this position.
Back to top