Senior Manager, Wealth & Estate Planning
Vanguard's Retail division is comprised of over 6,000 crew members who serve more than seven million clients with $1.5 trillion of AUM. The Retail division plays a key role in extending Vanguard's core purpose, which is "To take a stand for all investors, to treat them fairly, and give them the best chance for investment success." A growing percentage of Vanguard's existing clients and the retail marketplace are looking to Vanguard for comprehensive financial planning and wealth management to give them their "best change of investment success." Building upon over 20 years as a provider of advisor services solutions, Vanguard formally launched Personal Advisor Services (PAS) in 2015 to help address the rising need to provide their clients with high quality and affordable advice. Personal Advisor Services is off to a strong start, as the service is resonating with our clients. As of December 2017, PAS is managing more than $100B in client assets.
Vanguard is seeking a senior leader in our Pennsylvania office to manage a highly specialized team of estate/trust attorneys and tax specialists, who are responsible for providing the highest level of wealth and estate planning expertise and guidance to Ultra High Net Worth (UHNW) clients (those with $5MM or more in qualifying assets), and supporting PAS advisors across all service segments. This role would report directly to the head of PAS UHNW business, and would have seven to eight junior and senior specialists reporting to her/him, across three sites (Pennsylvania, North Carolina and Arizona). Leaders in this role are members of the extended PAS senior leadership team, and have responsibility for managing critical business functions, as well as participating in and driving the strategic direction of PAS.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Leads the Wealth and Estate Planning (WEPS) team, and creates a strong team atmosphere. Manages staff. Provides guidance, training and motivation as necessary to develop staff. Follows corporate disciplinary procedures per established Vanguard standards as required. Sets performance standards, reviews performance, provides feedback and recommends wage increases in accordance with the applicable HR policies and procedures.
- Develops and executes on a strategic vision for the WEPS team. Develops financial planning methodology and market positioning for WEPS services. Optimizes utilization of team capacity to meet client and business needs.
- Builds and maintains broad understanding of financial, estate, and income tax planning topics, the advice and wealth management industry and competitive offerings. Leverages this knowledge to drive strategic enhancements to the offer to ensure it remains differentiated in the industry.
- Ensures consistent delivery of the highest quality services and on-going advice to existing and prospective managed clients through the WEPS team. Participates in client meetings as appropriate.
- Develops and influences departmental policies and procedures to evolve PAS strategy to meet business needs. Works closely with other members of management to develop and implement strategic, staffing, and operational plans. Participates in the development of short and long range strategies and goals for the department.
- Positions oneself and develops a reputation as one of the primary leaders within the Advice management team both within the business unit and throughout the Vanguard organization.
- Develops close working relationships with all appropriate stakeholders both within and outside the department to meet Vanguard business requirements and partners with key stakeholders to define and deliver upon shared goals.
- Provides coaching to team in areas of financial planning and CRM. Supports team in analyzing and resolving client planning issues and developing solutions.
- Develops and maintains a comprehensive training program for Advice crew on basic estate and financial planning topics.
- Represents and builds external awareness of Vanguard through participation in various professional associations and activities on an as needed basis.
- Participates in special projects and performs other duties as assigned. Sponsors strategic initiatives for the department as necessary.
- Undergraduate degree required. Master's degree preferred.
- Minimum of eight years of related experience, including supervision of others, and dealing with high net worth clientele.
- Certified Financial Planner (CFP License) preferred.
- Exceptionally strong people leadership skills
- Excellent client relationship, communication and interpersonal skills.
- Proven ability to identify opportunities and execute solutions both strategically and tactically.
- Proven ability to work with tenured financial professionals, and relationship managers in team environment.
- Ability to lead and manage planning large service programs.
- Ability to represent Vanguard in professional community and before clients.
Vanguard is not offering visa sponsorship for this position
Back to top