Senior Manager - Strategy
Vanguard's Corporate Strategy Group serves the CEO, Senior Staff and the most senior leaders of the various business divisions such as Retail Investor Group, Institutional Investor Group, and Financial Advisor Services. It's a highly proactive team that helps drive the corporate vision and shape the coming years' key business activities for Vanguard. The group focuses its analytical and consultative talents on setting and evaluating Vanguard's corporate and business strategy, which may include the evaluation of domestic and international business opportunities such as acquisitions, joint ventures, and other strategic partnerships. The team provides thought leadership, assesses competition, evaluates industry trends and market changes, and helps define and develop new products and services.
Reporting directly to the Principal leading the Corporate Strategy Group, the Senior Strategy Manager will work in concert with senior management and other leaders, devising and leading analytical problem solving projects that will inform the direction of the businesses.
The Senior Strategy Manager will synthesize primary and secondary research, prepare strategic analyses, produce insights, lead project teams, present findings and recommendations, and write summary briefs on key strategic issues impacting Vanguard's existing portfolio of businesses. Through research, analysis, and thought leadership this individual will formulate and articulate "points of view" on key strategic opportunities for Vanguard's business.
Vanguard expects that the successful candidate will expand their scope and impact over time as a Senior Strategy Manager and will thereafter transition into broader leadership roles across the enterprise.
Key Duties & Responsibilities
- Effectively manages a team of strategy analysts and creates an environment that is conducive to teamwork, innovation and objectivity, which motivates a highly competent, driven and productive team.
- Oversees the efficiency and effectiveness within the team. Sets measurable goals and examines ways to raise standards, to increase quality and to improve overall performance of the team.
- Provides direction and guidance to a team of strategy analysts aligned with each Vanguard line of business around key strategic topics and questions.
- Provides thought-leadership by identifying strategic topics and presenting compelling ideas for research evaluation to the Corporate Strategy organization.
- Participates in department-level and corporate-level strategic planning for Vanguard, contributing insights derived from analysis and synthesis of the team. Manages client relationships and anticipates needs.
- Conducts efficient and thorough analyses of substantial (i.e., high impact) strategic issues confronting Vanguard following corporate strategy methodologies. Leverages and manages cross-functional teams as required. Prepares and presents strategic analysis, findings, and recommendations to senior management (e.g., story-lines, presentations, and whitepapers).
- Develops and implements operational plans to achieve departmental objectives. Works with senior management in the planning, development and execution of short and long range goals.
- Keeps abreast of industry, market and company trends, and partners with business leaders to understand key concerns and opportunities for each line of business; tailors analysis and synthesis around these topics.
- Minimum of five years of overall highly diverse strategy consulting experience, which must include evidence of career progression to the manager level or higher
- Experience working within a leading global business consulting firm, preferred
- MBA from a nationally-ranked, top tier business school
- Experience conducting rigorous business and financial analysis/modeling and hypothesis development and testing
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple deliverables simultaneously
- Superior structured thinking skills and strategic questioning and rationale capabilities.
- Excellent communication skills including strong ability to present to senior leadership
- Exceptional interpersonal skills with the ability to influence and persuade across the organization.
- Strong talent development and people leadership skills
Meet Some of Vanguard's Employees
Shelley produces creative recruitment marketing campaigns in order to share Vanguard’s brand, mission, events and culture with new talent in the industry.
Back to top