Senior LAN/Wan Engineer
To provide senior level telecommunications network services, including designing, installing, configuring, and integrating new network technologies, to developers and IT Technical Services teams. Provides project leadership for network design and installation projects using standard technologies.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides senior level telecom network services, including installing, configuring, and integrating new network technologies. Obtains project approval and funding. Identifies stake holders and forms project team. Conducts pilot and recommends go/no go decision. Verifies network installations meet Production acceptance standards.
- Provides project leadership for network design and installation projects using standard technologies.
- Provides senior level Tier 3 telecom network services for complex issues elevated from the Support Center and Technical Services groups. Identifies failing components.
- Provides senior level network design and debugging services to development teams. Works closely with developers to implement reliable, manageable, and secure solutions for external connections.
- Identifies performance issues, interprets trends (e.g., traces of network traffic), and implements improvements.
- Writes documentation, including policies and procedures. Creates diagrams, including network designs.
- Adds, updates, and closes records in the IT Problem Management and Change Management databases.
- Trains and mentors staff. Conducts formal training sessions, one-on-one sessions, and recommends training vendors. Troubleshoots and resolves complex issues.
- Completes network capacity planning activities, including monitoring the network and tracking network capacity metrics. Initiates actions to prevent network degradation caused by capacity issues.
- Identifies opportunities to automate manual system tasks.
- Thoroughly understands and complies with IT policies and procedures, especially those for quality and productivity standards that enable the team to meet established client service levels. Thoroughly understands and complies with Information Security policies and procedures.
- Participates in special projects and performs other related duties as assigned.
- Undergraduate degree in a related field or the equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Minimum of 5+ years' network technician experience.
- Experience with Scripting such as Pear or Python, to automate network tasks, required.
- CCNA or CCNP certifications preferred, not required
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including presentation skills.
- Strong analysis and problem solving skills.
- Strong project leadership skills.
- Advanced knowledge of the following telecom network practices and concepts: network architecture design, technical standards and deliverables, troubleshooting tools (e.g., line analyzers, breakout boxes, and network traces), software and hardware installation and configuration, network hardware, protocols (e.g., TCP/IP, DLC, and ASYNC).
- Advanced knowledge of current versions of the following products: Cisco IOS, Visio.
- Experience with legacy Brocade preferred
- Experience with Voice/PBX preferred
This role is on the End User Networking team, which is responsible for LAN/WAN Engineering across Vanguard's global campuses. Ability to travel internationally, provide evening and weekend support for engineering planned changes, when needed, is required.
Vanguard is not offering visa sponsorship for this position
Back to top