Senior Java Developer - AWS
- Charlotte, NC
Create the products that are changing the industry:
Vanguard has found a lot of success since we launched our first big Advice offer a few years ago. Now Vanguard is looking to expand that offering significantly through a new Advice program. We are looking for strong Engineers to build out an Advice API Platform in AWS to spread our trusted advice even more broadly. Engineers will work with AWS, Java, Apigee, and Angular to build out this exciting new Advice offer. The team is highly collaborative, focuses on quality and working to just be a little more awesome every day.
This role will be part of a full stack agile team that will develop cloud native microservices and front-end applications leveraging the latest Vanguard approved technology stacks. Don't delay, apply today!
In this role, you will:
- Provides senior-level expertise in an initiative to build or re-platform select business services as APIs for internal and external consumption
- Defines the bounded context for conceptual API models. Writes specifications for APIs.
- Designs, builds, and maintains APIs in a cloud-based micro-services architecture. Re-platforms existing applications to API, cloud, and micro-services architecture with minimal impact to consuming applications.
- Provides leadership and guidance to a team on developing solutions that integrate with existing IT systems to satisfy business needs
- Develops automated tests for functional, performance, and security testing using TDD methodology
- Implements instrumentation for monitoring product health, business metrics, and consumption patterns
- Thoroughly understands and complies with IT policies and procedures, especially those for quality and productivity standards that enable the team to meet established milestones.
Bring invention to investing:
Imagine working in a place where continuous improvement and innovation are celebrated and rewarded, where fast-paced, high-impact teams come together to positively drive results for one of the largest and most trusted financial services company in the world. Computerworld magazine named Vanguard #3 in its 100 Best Places to Work in IT for 2019!
- Undergraduate degree in a related field or the equivalent combination of training and experience.
- 5+ years software engineering experience.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Strong, demonstrated analysis and problem solving skills.
- Strong planning and organizational skills.
Specializations that'll make an impact
- Java REST services - Spring, Jersey
- Angular, preferably Angular 6
- Experience with API management platforms, design standards, patterns and best practices is a plus.
- Test automation and test-driven development practices and frameworks - mutation testing, functional testing (JUnit, Cucumber), mock frameworks (Mockito, etc.), contract testing
- Familiarity with DevOps concepts, tools and continuous delivery pipelines - Bamboo, Jenkins, Maven, Bitbucket, Jira, etc.
- Ability to implement instrumentation to gather business-specific metrics around consumer usage patterns
- Knowledge of cloud/AWS development/engineering best practices is a plus
- Knowledge of cloud data stores is a plus - S3, Dynamo DB and/or Amazon RDS
Vanguard is not offering sponsorship for this position.
We are Vanguard. Together, we're changing the way the world invests.
For us, investing doesn't just end in value. It starts with values. Because when you invest with courage, when you invest with clarity, and when you invest with care, you can get so much more in return. We invest with purpose - and that's how we've become a global market leader. Here, we grow by doing the right thing for the people we serve. And so can you.
We want to make success accessible to everyone. This is our opportunity. Let's make it count.
Vanguard's continued commitment to diversity and inclusion is firmly rooted in our culture. Every decision we make to best serve our clients, crew (internally employees are referred to as crew), and communities is guided by one simple statement: "Do the right thing."
We believe that a critical aspect of doing the right thing requires building diverse, inclusive, and highly effective teams of individuals who are as unique as the clients they serve. We empower our crew to contribute their distinct strengths to achieving Vanguard's core purpose through our values.
When all crew members feel valued and included, our ability to collaborate and innovate is amplified, and we are united in delivering on Vanguard's core purpose.
Our core purpose: To take a stand for all investors, to treat them fairly, and to give them the best chance for investment success.
Back to top