Senior Investment Risk Manager
- Malvern, PA
Do you have a passion for financial markets and intellectual curiosity for a deeper understanding of their uncertainties? Are you a self-directed candidate with excellent quantitative and communication skills, solid working knowledge of equity and/or multi-asset risk models, and ability to thrive in a dynamic environment?
The Risk Management Group (RMG) is responsible for providing independent investment risk oversight of the firm's internally-managed assets. In this role you will provide investment risk management leadership, expertise and analysis across fixed income funds in a global environment as part of the front office. The senior investment risk manager works in a highly collaborative team environment to help identify portfolio & market risks, quantifies our portfolio's exposures to these risks, and communicates risk related topics effectively to the portfolio management team and senior management. This individual also leads ad-hoc research and develops risk analytics to enhance the business's understanding of risk and how to manage it through risk-aware portfolio construction. The role provides the successful candidate with great opportunities to shape the development of a robust risk management framework & analytics, and quickly assume more responsibilities within a rapidly changing & growing risk department.
In this role you will:
•Attract, coach, mentor and develop talented colleagues. Leads staff in the development of specialized investment risk management, performance analysis and other analytical skills that raise the capabilities of the investment risk team.
•Provide thought leadership to improve the investment process and publish value-added research and insights. Use a variety of analytical resources to develop and enhance existing risk-return analysis, including performance attribution, multifactor risk models, scenario analysis, and stress testing.
•Use expertise and judgement to think critically about a broad range of potential investment risks for both existing funds and new product assessments. Develop clear, actionable insights to influence the investment management process and enhance risk-adjusted returns.
•Develop a deep understanding of Vanguard's investment management functional areas. Maintain deep knowledge of financial markets, quantitative drivers, and general investment themes in order to bring an informed perspective to the risk management processes. Be seen as an expert resource internally within the Investment Management Group.
•Initiate and lead risk management related projects of high complexity and direct colleagues on such projects. Drive the identification, evaluation, and resolution of potential obstacles which may have an impact on the completion of the project.
•Develop and utilize analytical resources required to advance Vanguard's risk management capabilities through the use of Aladdin, Bloomberg, and other systems.
•Present thorough, clear, and insightful analysis to senior leaders, portfolio managers, and traders in a professional manner. Be persuasive and influential in both formal presentations and informal interactions.
•Lead a variety of ad hoc analytical and regulatory/compliance projects as needed to support Risk Management Group (RMG).
•Represent IMG to internal and external clients.
What it takes:
•Undergraduate degree or equivalent education. Graduate degree and/or professional certification (CFA, FRM) preferred.
•Minimum eight years related analytical work experience.
•Deep investment knowledge including an understanding of fixed income markets and indices.
•Ability to lead multiple, complex projects with attention to detail while meeting deadlines.
•Demonstrated quantitative and analytical skills.
•Experience with R, Matlab, SQL, VBA, Python or related programming languages highly desirable.
•Demonstrated ability to thrive in a fast paced, dynamic working environment with multiple and diverse responsibilities.
•Detail oriented with a high level of energy.
•Proven self-starter with ability to work independently as well as lead teams.
•Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills. Strong analytical, problem solving and organizational skills.
•Proven ability to interact and build effective working relationships with peers and senior management.
1. Develops and implements an effective and efficient risk management infrastructure to manage, measure, monitor, and report aggregate global fixed income investment risk exposures. Provides thought leadership to improve the fixed income investment process and publishes value added research and insights.
2. Develops and implements best practices for fixed income investment and business activities to control various risks. Provides guidance on fixed income investment risk management policies and procedures, limits, and guidelines. Uses a variety of analytical resources to develop and enhance existing risk-return analysis, including performance attribution, multifactor risk models, scenario analysis, and stress testing.
3. Uses expertise and judgement to manage a broad range of potential investment risks for both existing fixed income funds and new product assessments. Develops clear, actionable insights to influence the fixed income investment management process and enhance risk-adjusted returns. Presents thorough, clear, and insightful analysis to senior leaders, portfolio managers, and traders.
4. Develops and implements increasingly complex processes, tools, and techniques to evaluate and validate fixed income investments models and advance fixed income risk management capabilities. Implements ongoing model validation processes.
5. Maintains deep understanding of financial markets, quantitative drivers, and general investment themes in order to bring an informed perspective to the risk management processes. Develops a deep understanding of Vanguard?s fixed income investment management functional areas. Keeps abreast of current issues in business operations and incorporates changing business needs into risk analysis.
6. Represents the investment management group to internal and external clients.
7. Participates in special projects and performs other duties as assigned.
Vanguard is not offering visa sponsorship for this position.
This is considered a covered department under Vanguard's Political Contribution and Fundraising Activity Policy and may be subject to greater restrictions than those set out in the policy. Prior to moving into this position you will be required to disclose all political contributions made within the last two years.
You should be aware this will designate you as a
Fund Access Person
and carries with it certain responsibilities and restrictions. For more information see the following article.
We are Vanguard. Together, we're changing the way the world invests.
For us, investing doesn't just end in value. It starts with values. Because when you invest with courage, when you invest with clarity, and when you invest with care, you can get so much more in return. We invest with purpose - and that's how we've become a global market leader. Here, we grow by doing the right thing for the people we serve. And so can you.
We want to make success accessible to everyone. This is our opportunity. Let's make it count.
Vanguard's continued commitment to diversity and inclusion is firmly rooted in our culture. Every decision we make to best serve our clients, crew (internally employees are referred to as crew), and communities is guided by one simple statement: "Do the right thing."
We believe that a critical aspect of doing the right thing requires building diverse, inclusive, and highly effective teams of individuals who are as unique as the clients they serve. We empower our crew to contribute their distinct strengths to achieving Vanguard's core purpose through our values.
When all crew members feel valued and included, our ability to collaborate and innovate is amplified, and we are united in delivering on Vanguard's core purpose.
Our core purpose: To take a stand for all investors, to treat them fairly, and to give them the best chance for investment success.
Back to top