Senior Investment Consultant - PA
Vanguard, one of the world’s largest investment management companies and a recognized employer of choice is seeking a Senior Investment Consultant, in the Valley Forge, PA location for the Vanguard Institutional Advisory Services (VIAS) group. Institutional Investor Services (IIS), a sub division of the Institutional Investors Group (IIG), serves the investment needs of defined contribution and defined benefit plan sponsors, endowments and foundations, and provides discretionary asset management to institutions. The IIS mission is to continuously strive to be a trusted partner for insightful perspective, sophisticated service, and solutions-oriented outcomes for institutional investors, enabling them to achieve investment successUnder the IIS umbrella, Vanguard Institutional Advisory Services® (VIAS) provides comprehensive investment advisory services to institutional clients, primarily defined benefit plans, endowments, and foundations. Those services include: asset allocation analysis, investment policy development, portfolio construction, portfolio monitoring, portfolio rebalancing, performance reporting, trustee Services and investment reviewsVIAS develops customized portfolio solutions for institutional clients. Clients with assets in excess of $50 million work closely with a Vanguard Senior Investment Consultant to support all aspects of their investment decision making. Working directly with the Investment Strategy Group and members of the Portfolio Review Department, Senior Investment Consultants apply sophisticated financial models to develop strategic asset allocations, address portfolio construction issues, and respond to client research needs. Senior Investment Consultants travel to meet with client investment committees on a regular basis to review their portfolios, discuss the economic environment, and review various investment topics of interest.
Primary duties and responsibilities:
- Serves as the senior investment consultant for current and prospective defined benefit, endowment and foundation clients representing VIAS’ investment and advisory capabilities to key decision makers, investment committees, and board members.
- Consult with existing clients in the development or adaptation of investment policy statements. Provides discretionary portfolio management and non-discretionary investment consulting to an assigned client base. Work closely with Institutional Sales to represent VIAS to prospective clients.
- Consult on topics such as liability driven investing, total return, risk management, portfolio optimization, and implementation considerations
- Conduct investment reviews for the client (i.e. market, portfolio, and fund performance, portfolio construction, and asset allocation) and conducts subsequent meetings with the client’s investment committees and Boards.
- Represents Vanguard at industry conferences and events and at Vanguard client symposiums by speaking on a broad range of investment topics of interest to Institutional investment professionals.
- Keeps abreast of investment process and performance of existing Vanguard funds as well as market conditions and developments. Responds to investment-related questions from existing and prospective VIAS clients. Acts as a VIAS investment team liaison to senior management and other areas of Vanguard. Write executive summaries for quarterly client reports, commenting on portfolio and fund level performance.
- Represent VIAS and the Institutional client viewpoint in the development and enhancement of Vanguard’s advisory methodology. Collaborate with colleagues in Investment Strategy Group and Portfolio Review Department to refine the advisory investment philosophy and portfolio strategies.
- Serves as a leader, mentor, role model, and technical resource to VIAS Investment Analysts.
- Undergraduate degree in finance-related field or equivalent combination of training and experience. Postgraduate degree of MBA preferred.
- Minimum ten years work experience including five years in an investment analyst/consultant/counselor position.
- Series 6, 63, 65 are required or able to obtain in 90 days.
- CFA designation required.
- Superior technical skills related to investment analysis preferred.
- Previous experience with endowments, foundation, defined benefit and/ or large institutional clients.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including strong presentation skills required.
- Proven experience with external clients and the ability to communicate effectively with a wide range of audiences.
- Superior desktop computing skills including spreadsheet capabilities, database knowledge, and other analytical applications preferred.
Only U.S. citizens, lawful permanent residents, or others with the permanent right to work in the United States will be considered for this position. Employment is also contingent on a successful drug-screening result and successful passing of the required FINRA licenses.
Back to top