Senior Investment Consultant
Vanguard, one of the world’s largest investment management companies and a recognized employer of choice is seeking a Senior Investment Consultant, in its Scottsdale, AZ location for the Vanguard Institutional Advisory Services (VIAS) group. VIAS, housed in the Institutional Investor Group, offers asset allocation, portfolio construction and investment analysis to a broad set of institutional investors, including endowments, foundations, private and public pensions.
Combining consultative client service with portfolio design and implementation, Senior Investment Consultant seeks to solve a wide range of investment challenges by taking a holistic approach through discretionary portfolio management.
Primary duties and responsibilities:
- Serves as the senior investment consultant for current and prospective defined benefit, endowment and foundation clients representing VIAS’ investment and advisory capabilities to key decision makers, investment committees, and board members.
- Consult with existing clients in the development or adaptation of investment policy statements. Provides discretionary portfolio management and non-discretionary investment consulting to an assigned client base. Work closely with Institutional Sales to represent VIAS to prospective clients.
- Consult on topics such as liability driven investing, total return, risk management, portfolio optimization, and implementation considerations
- Conduct investment reviews for the client (i.e. market, portfolio, and fund performance, portfolio construction, and asset allocation) and conducts subsequent meetings with the client’s investment committees and Boards.
- Represents Vanguard at industry conferences and events and at Vanguard client symposiums by speaking on a broad range of investment topics of interest to Institutional investment professionals.
- Keeps abreast of investment process and performance of existing Vanguard funds as well as market conditions and developments. Responds to investment-related questions from existing and prospective VIAS clients. Acts as a VIAS investment team liaison to senior management and other areas of Vanguard. Write executive summaries for quarterly client reports, commenting on portfolio and fund level performance.
- Represent VIAS and the Institutional client viewpoint in the development and enhancement of Vanguard’s advisory methodology. Collaborate with colleagues in Investment Strategy Group and Portfolio Review Department to refine the advisory investment philosophy and portfolio strategies.
- Serves as a leader, mentor, role model, and technical resource to VIAS Investment Analysts.
- Undergraduate degree in finance-related field or equivalent combination of training and experience. Postgraduate degree of MBA preferred.
- Minimum ten years work experience including five years in an investment analyst/consultant/counselor position.
- Series 63, 65 and 7 are required or able to obtain in 90 days.
- CFA designation required.
- Superior technical skills related to investment analysis preferred.
- Previous experience with endowments, foundation, defined benefit and/ or large institutional clients.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including strong presentation skills required.
- Proven experience with external clients and the ability to communicate effectively with a wide range of audiences.
- Superior desktop computing skills including spreadsheet capabilities, database knowledge, and other analytical applications preferred.
- Travel required.
Back to top