Senior Investment Analyst and Manager
Vanguard, one of the world’s largest investment management companies and a recognized employer of choice seeks a Senior Investment Analyst and Manager for the Oversight & Manager Search team within the Portfolio Review Department. Vanguard is based on a simple but revolutionary idea-that a mutual fund company should be managed in the sole interest of its investors. To ensure that the interests of investors always come first, Vanguard is owned by the Vanguard funds, which in turn are owned by the investors. We’re still the only company structured this way. Today, we state our mission broadly: To take a stand for all investors, to treat them fairly, and to give them the best chance for investment success.The Oversight & Manager Search team is responsible for the ongoing monitoring, reporting, and improvement all of Vanguard’s funds and investment managers in all regions around the globe. This includes the assets run by Vanguard’s Investment Management Group and also those outsourced to external firms. Our size, scale, and reputation provide access to distinguished investment managers and diversity of thought. The team works closely with other members of the Portfolio Review Department, who are responsible for new fund development, product management, implementation, and client services. The Senior Investment Analyst and Manager will critically assess the ability of assigned funds and investment managers to meet their investment goals, keep the Global Investment Committee and the Board of Directors well-informed of key issues, and champion recommendations that would materially improve the probability of investment success and client acceptance. The Senior Investment Analyst and Manager will also be a subject matter expert, who is available to support the needs of significant clients and prospects.
Primary duties and responsibilities:
- Leads your team of Investment Analysts to success by fostering an inclusive environment and managing to their diverse needs. Creates a culture of engagement by providing personalized coaching, training, and motivation. Setting standards, reviewing performance, and providing feedback, all in order to develop staff.
- Acts as the primary owner of assigned funds. Develops a well-informed opinion on the probability of the long-term investment success using quantitative and qualitative inputs. Conveys these opinions through meetings with Senior Staff and the Board of Directors, manager oversight memos, and annual fund reviews. Defines manager and fund guidelines and expectations; recommends manager weights and cash flow policies.
- Conduct ongoing manager research to develop a list of high-potential managers. Develops and executes on a manager search plan by creatively sourcing managers; leads interactions with potential managers. Prepares manager fee proposals and participates in fee negotiations and contract modifications. Attends industry conferences, monitors competitor developments, and reviews external research publications.
- Takes ownership of the assigned funds’ positioning to clients and prospects. Communicate hypotheses on industry cash flow trend drivers to product management team. Advocates for new products that have the potential to satisfy enduring client needs.
- Supports business needs, when called upon, for subject matter expertise. Delivers presentations on the assigned funds’ current investment strategy to internal and external audiences in an in-depth and objective manner. Proactively engages internal and external clients with relevant information on topical issues.
- Undergraduate economics or finance degree; MBA and/or CFA preferred.
- Minimum eight years progressive work experience in the investment management industry with at least five years’ concentration in portfolio management, analysis, and/or investment manager evaluation.
- Highly developed analytical skills and thorough understanding of capital markets
- Ability to evaluate and present multiple investment styles across asset classes in an in-depth and objective manner.
- Excellent relationship management and influence skills.
- Superior team management skills. Able to attract, mentor, and motivate talent, and to establish an environment characterized by teamwork, innovation, and objectivity.
- Demonstrated record of initiative and career advancement and the ability to work independently at a high level.
- Superior interpersonal, writing, and presentation skills. Ability to build trust and work effectively with senior management and internal and external partners at all levels.
- Series 6 and 63 (or ability to obtain within 6 months).
Vanguard is not offering visa sponsorship for this position.
Back to top