Senior Investment Analyst
Job Profile Summary
To provide investment analysis and support for Vanguard Institutional Advisory Services (VIAS) senior investment consultants and clients of moderate to high complexity (with assets in excess of $20 million). To act as primary investment consultant for current VIAS clients of low to moderate complexity (with assets below $20 million) (endowments, foundations, and defined benefit plans), providing portfolio and investment analysis, consulting and research.
A few reasons why this role is a terrific career opportunity:
•\tYou are an influential analyst supporting the Chief Investment Officer for institutional advisory clients - assisting Senior Investment Consultants (IC) with building customized portfolios designed to meet client investment objectives and providing ongoing portfolio oversight
•\tYou will develop and leverage investment expertise and build client relationship management skills to drive success for your IC's book of business-relationship interactions entail presenting in front of sophisticated investment committees, CFOs, and other senior-level client contacts
•\tYou will be part of a high-performing group of seasoned investment experts
•\tYou'll be a key member of the client investment team through collaboration with Investment Consultants, Investment Analysts and Client Service Analysts, and will also build strong relationships with Vanguard crew across key investment groups such as ISG and PRD
•\tOn an ongoing basis you'll participate in delivering value-added services to your clients such as ad hoc analysis, portfolio monitoring, and investment performance reviews
A few reasons why Vanguard Institutional Advisory Services (VIAS) is an amazing career destination:
•\tThe Outsourced Chief Investment Officer (OCIO) industry has grown rapidly in recent years and represents a $1.7T market opportunity in the US
•\tOur position in the OCIO industry is very competitive - we are one of the 15 largest OCIO providers with ~$42B in AUM across over 1,000 clients ranging from endowments, foundations, defined benefit plans, and corporate accounts
•\tVIAS has the feel of a boutique advisory firm with the resources of a large investment provider. This helps VIAS deliver two key outcomes for clients: (1) strong investment performance and (2) client satisfaction.
•\t~85% of client portfolios met or exceeded the performance of their stated benchmarks over the past ten years
•\tOur 99% client retention rate and our net promoter scores are some of the highest across many of Vanguard's different business lines
Duties and Responsibilities
For VIAS clients of moderate to high complexity (assets above approximately $20 million):
- Develops asset allocation analyses, portfolio construction analyses, and investment policy statements for VIAS clients, through a solid understanding of VIAS advisory methodology and modeling tools. Develops supporting documentation used to communicate findings and recommendations to executive management at client organizations (i.e., Chief Financial Officer, Treasurer, Chairman of Investment Committee, etc.). Delivers findings to clients as part of a VIAS relationship team.
- Responds to investment-related questions from existing VIAS clients. Travels with VIAS senior investment consultants to conduct client meetings, as part of a VIAS relationship team.
- Provides ad hoc investment analytical support to VIAS senior investment consultants and salespeople in response to requests from clients and prospects. Ensures accuracy of quarterly client performance reporting, supports ad-hoc client performance report requests, and researches/resolves discrepancies.
For VIAS clients of low to moderate complexity (assets below approximately $20 million):
Serves as primary investment consultant for assigned clients, representing VIAS investment and advisory capabilities to key decision makers, investment committees, and Board members.
- Advises assigned clients on asset allocation, portfolio constructions, and fund selection decisions. Consults with clients in the development or adaptation of investment policy statements. Provides discretionary portfolio management and nondiscretionary investment consulting to assigned client base.
- Conducts investment reviews for assigned clients (i.e., market, portfolio, and fund performance, portfolio construction, and asset allocation) and conducts subsequent meetings with the client's investment committees and Boards.
- Writes executive summaries for quarterly reports for assigned clients, commenting on portfolio and fund level performance.
- Develops and maintains an in-depth understanding of capital markets, asset management, and the financial services industry. Keeps abreast of significant changes or developments in the fields of investments and financial services.
- Serves as a departmental technical resource on client performance reporting, calculation methods, and various analytical tools such as Morningstar Datalab, Russell Performance Universe, Zephyr Style Advisor, FactSet and FINS.
- Provides guidance and mentoring to less tenured Investment Analysts.
- Participates in special projects and performs other duties as assigned.
- Undergraduate degree in finance-related field or equivalent combination of training and experience. MBA and Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) (completed or in progress) preferred.
- Minimum of 5 years work experience, with three years in an investment analyst/consultant/counselor position strongly preferred.
- Superior technical skills related to investment analysis required.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including strong presentation skills required.
- Experience with endowments, foundations and defined benefit plans preferred.
- Proven experience with external clients and the ability to communicate effectively with a wide range of audiences.
- Superior desktop computing skills including spreadsheet capabilities, database knowledge, and other analytical applications preferred.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and priorities.
Approximately 20% travel required.
Vanguard is not offering visa sponsorship for this position.
This is considered a covered department under Vanguard's Political Contribution and Fundraising Activity Policy and may be subject to greater restrictions than those set out in the policy. Prior to moving into this position you will be required to disclose all political contributions made within the last two years.
Incumbent will potentially interface with senior investment contacts at advisory client organizations. Advisory relationships range in size from $5 million to over $200 million in Vanguard assets. Average client size is $50 million. Direct impact on endowment, foundation, and defined benefit plan clients with assets between $5 million and $20 million.
Back to top