Senior Infrastructure Engineer - VMware
Build IT that develops financial futures
At Vanguard, technology is integral to helping our clients reach their personal goals. We depend on IT 24/7 to run our investors' assets. That puts your expertise in telecommunications at the heart of our business. As a Senior Infrastructure Engineer, we'll rely on you to provide senior level infrastructure services focusing on designing, installing, configuring, integrating, and automating VMWare and other computing technologies. This is a true senior engineering role and the ideal candidate will be responsible for providing leadership for design and installation projects using multiple technologies to keep our networks running smoothly.
The central role of technology in Vanguard's business not only provides extraordinary learning opportunities for you, it sets new standards for the wider IT industry. Make it count!
In this role, you will:
- Provide senior level infrastructure services, including installing, configuring, and integrating enterprise data center technologies, specializing in the VMWare suite. Work with vendors to obtain quotes and justify business need. Identify stake holders and form project teams. Conduct functional testing and provides recommendations based on the results.
- Implement opportunities to automate manual system tasks.
- Provide senior level Tier 3 services for complex issues elevated from tier 2 support groups.
- Provide senior level design and debugging services to development teams.
- Identify performance issues, interprets trends, and implements improvements.
- Ensure documentation, including policies and procedures. Create diagrams, including network, storage, and compute designs.
- Add, update, and closes records in the IT Problem Management and Change Management databases.
- Complete capacity planning activities, including monitoring and tracking capacity metrics. Initiates actions to prevent degradation caused by capacity issues.
- Thoroughly understand and comply with IT policies and procedures, especially those for quality and productivity standards that enable the team to meet established client service levels.
- Participate in special projects and performs other related duties as assigned.
Improve performance through high-performing networks
You're passionate about the potential to transform the business through networking technology but, more than that, you understand how to use it to deliver real benefits to our clients. You're committed to getting the most from our resources and ensuring they operate at peak performance. The same goes for your own career: you're keen to build on your analytical and problem-solving skills, improve your technical knowhow and develop to your full potential. Together we'll own the way in a fast-growing industry.
What it takes
- Undergraduate degree in a related field or the equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Minimum of 5+ year's infrastructure engineering experience.
- Working understanding of advanced aspects of compute technologies including VMware tool suite (ESXi, vCenter, vROPS, vRNI, vRB, etc.).
- Working understanding of data center technologies including, enterprise storage, and networking with expertise in at least one of the following technologies: VMWare, SAN, NAS, Block Storage, Data Replication Strategy, Routing and Switching, Application Load Balancing, data Back-up Technologies, Next Generation Firewalls is a plus
- Working understanding of code and scripting (Python, PowerShell, Rest API)
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including presentation skills.
- Strong analysis and problem solving skills.
- Strong project leadership skills.
VMWare architecture design, technical standards and deliverables, troubleshooting tools (e.g., log analysis), software and hardware installation and configuration, protocols (e.g., TCP/IP, routing protocols, storage replication, etc.).
Vanguard is not offering sponsorship for this position
We are Vanguard. Together, we're changing the way the world invests.
For us, investing doesn't just end in value. It starts with values. Because when you invest with courage, when you invest with clarity, and when you invest with care, you can get so much more in return. We invest with purpose - and that's how we've become a global market leader. Here, we grow by doing the right thing for the people we serve. And so can you.
We want to make success accessible to everyone. This is our opportunity. Let's make it count.
Vanguard's continued commitment to diversity and inclusion is firmly rooted in our culture. Every decision we make to best serve our clients, crew (internally employees are referred to as crew), and communities is guided by one simple statement: "Do the right thing."
We believe that a critical aspect of doing the right thing requires building diverse, inclusive, and highly effective teams of individuals who are as unique as the clients they serve. We empower our crew to contribute their distinct strengths to achieving Vanguard's core purpose through our values.
When all crew members feel valued and included, our ability to collaborate and innovate is amplified, and we are united in delivering on Vanguard's core purpose.
Our core purpose: To take a stand for all investors, to treat them fairly, and to give them the best chance for investment success.
Back to top