Senior Front End Developer
Vanguard IT resources are central to the success of our business goals. IT resources work on meaningful and impactful projects. We have pride in what we do and know we are making a difference to Vanguard investors.
We believe that IT is a trusted partner that:
- Delights clients and prospects through exceptional technology-based experiences,
- Helps business partners envision possibilities and reach their goals through innovative solutions that drive Vanguard's core purpose,
- Enables Vanguard to be a best place to work and, is driven by a highly engaged and effective workforce.
The latest methodologies and IT practices are used
- Lean Scrum/Agile and Kanban Project Management Processes
- Test Driven Development and Automated Testing, Unit, Regression, Performance, Application Vulnerability
- Continuous Delivery
- Ideation and Innovation
In this role, you will transform design compositions into expert-level interactive user experiences, ranging from proofs of concept and behavior demos to complex, high-fidelity prototypes for divisional or enterprise-level projects, in order to allow the team to test ideas and make better design decisions.
Duties and Responsibilities
Translates advanced design compositions into clean, standards-compliant, semantic markup and responsive webpages or native applications by understanding the layout and behavior of the design. Works on large, complex projects under minimal direction. Serves as a technical lead for junior team members.
Works with business owners, designers, information architects, and developers to implement a high quality user experience. Recommends and effectively explains improvements in functionality, navigation, and UI design elements that enable users and internal business clients to achieve their goals. Builds working relationships across divisions.
Leads prototyping efforts for testing and experimentation, including usability, Vanguard Labs, and A/B and multivariate testing.
Oversees the project team on day-to-day operations of project deliverables and problem resolution. Coordinates with Project Managers on project schedules, assignments, and workflow.
Works with IT to advocate for functional and efficient production client-side code. Collaborates with designers to realize and finalize prescribed web designs and system behaviors. Works with project teams to understand the business needs, and prototypes the design solutions as necessary. Delegates work to other team members as necessary.
Effectively presents work to the project team, stakeholders, and department and senior management.
Maintains awareness of all of the available components and patterns, and works with project teams to identify new or revised components/patterns required to complete the designs. Collaborates with CBD/PST for new and updated components/patterns.
Develops and continually enhances a client-side and server-side architecture for website prototyping. Creates and maintains reusable prototyping libraries for design patterns, behavior patterns, and components. Incorporates content management systems into the prototyping architecture.
Provides manager with realistic estimates of the level of effort needed to complete new projects and reviews estimates from other team members.
Tests webpages and conducts functional testing for team projects when needed. Audits Vanguard webpages to ensure they project the desired look and feel. Completes applicable test documentation.
Performs code reviews of other team members' work and recommends changes to improve code quality.
Researches, evaluates, and reports on the evolving technologies related to this role. Continually searches for new ways to utilize current tools and researches new tools that can enhance workflow. Works with the CTO and NGSA to get new tools approved for evaluation and standardization. Develops plans for implementing new tools into workflow. Recommends solutions that will be applicable across organizations.
- Participates in special projects and performs other duties as assigned.
- Undergraduate degree in information technology or design, or the equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Minimum five years industry/field specific experience. Minimum of five years of front-end development.
- Experience writing regular expressions preferred.
- Experience with node.js and related node-based tools, as well as the iPhone SDK preferred.
- Expert knowledge of web standards and cross-browser compatibility issues.
- Extensive experience taking design comps and translating them into their web-based equivalents.
- Experience with version control systems such as Subversion and/or Git, Dreamweaver, and Photoshop.
- Expert knowledge of the following UI design practices and concepts: user-centered design, highly interactive interfaces, UI heuristics and principles, technical writing, business and user workflow, logical information organization and navigation, prototyping, and use case scenarios.
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, and multitasking skills.
- Strong written and oral communication skills, including interviewing and presentation skills.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Advanced knowledge of the financial services industry.
Vanguard is not offering visa sponsorship for this position.
Meet Some of Vanguard's Employees
Shelley produces creative recruitment marketing campaigns in order to share Vanguard’s brand, mission, events and culture with new talent in the industry.
Back to top